Best Carb /pump for a 1641 rebuild

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which carb/pump would you choose?

• Solex 34 PICT-3

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Weber single DFEV carburettor and manifold kit Type 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Type 1 Dual port twin Weber 34 ICT carburettor kit – CSP

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Huco 12v fuel pump 133000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Huco low pressure 12v fuel pump 133010

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Nugsy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So after driving round for far to long with what I thought were burnt out valves, along with running to hot etc I have decided to have my engine rebuilt. Took it to some guys I know local and its all stripped down, block sent off to get machined/sort out the end float etc.

Been told its definitely a 1641cc and the top end all seems ok, just silly things when the engine had been built; piston ring gaps lined up not offset is one I can remember.

So as part of the rebuild my mind has been made up on a vintage speed exhaust, but when it comes to carbs i'm a complete novice.

So choices are

1. Stick with my current Solex 34 PICT-3 bought off here to replace my old 31PICT

2. Go for a progressive Carb kit - Weber single DFEV carburettor and manifold kit Type 1 @ £473.72
http://www.dellorto.co.uk/shop/weber-single-carb-upgrade-kits/weber-single-dfev-carburettor-and-manifold-kit-type-1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3. Go for twin carbs - Type 1 Dual port twin Weber 34 ICT carburettor kit – CSP @ £461.00
http://www.dellorto.co.uk/shop/weber-dual-34ict-carburetor-kits/type-1-dual-port-twin-weber-34-ict-carburettor-kit-csp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I go for 2 or 3 i'm going to get an electric fuel pump to and decided on a Huco one after reading the reviews on here. But again its a choice so need some advice

Huco 12v fuel pump 133000 - Pressure 3.6 PSI, Flow 32 Gallons per Hour
http://www.dellorto.co.uk/shop/fuel-pumps-regulators-accessories/huco-12v-fuel-pump-133000/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or low pressure option

Huco low pressure 12v fuel pump 133010 - Pressure 2.1 PSI Flow, 27.5 Gallons per Hour
http://www.dellorto.co.uk/shop/fuel-pumps-regulators-accessories/huco-low-pressure-12v-fuel-pump-133010/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll also be fitting fuel cut off solenoid near the petrol tank to stop petrol flow in case of emergencies.

Any help appreciated as always

Karl

The poll allows two votes, 1 for the carb and one for the pump :D

to be fair on my rebuild (1641) i reused the stock carb and just used a bigger main jet and it shoves it along fine .
On a previous engine (1641 also ) i did use the twin 34ict's and although had a few issues setting them up properly
they worked well , the only major difference between the stock and the icts i noticed was it gave you a little bit more grunt up the hills
and possibly ran a tiny bit cooler . both of these were on a stock fuel pump so cant comment on the elecy fuel pumps .
Comes down to your budget i suppose a few people i know have had no end of trouble getting the progressives set up properly
but once you've mastered the dark art of tuning them they are supposed to work well

Thanks for the reply
The garage where I took it recommend the progressive but given the price similarity to the twin car option it's a made me reconsider.
Twins seem the carb of choice in most of the build threads.

Got to decide to make sure I buy the right exhaust set up :D

Just installed the twin 34 ICT's to mine although havent got the bus running yet as I am still short of parts
Was a bigger job than expected although I didnt buy a kit and obtained the parts separately

Supposed to be a great improvement over the single carb

34 ICTs are running nicely in my 1641. Make sure you rejet them before fitting

Hi Nugsy.
If you want simplicity, reliability and originality then the stock solex is the way to go.
If you want more grunt to get you up hills and pull away when loaded then the weber 34s are good, though the trade off is, I find them not as economical as a stock carb, but that could be my heavy foot.
I haven't had any problems with my weber 34s, they have been on my 1641 for over two years/15000ish miles. I don't have a electric fuel pump, just the stock one and a malpassi petrol king regulator.
If I was doing it again? I would go for twin carbs, I like more torque.

The difference between those Huco pumps is that one sucks and one blows.

1st one needs placing near the tank and pushes the fuel, the second fits in the engine bay and sucks the fuel.
I bought the latter and run it with Twin Dellorto 36s on a 1955cc engine.

If fitting electric pump, please remember to fit an inertia cut-off switch and a fuel solenoid.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

I found this on another forum, if wiring like this does it still need to have the solenoid?
fuelpumpcircuit.jpg

Never heard of an inertia switch but had a quick swizz on ebay. I'm assuming they have some kind of mechanism inside like an airbag trigger that breaks a contact when it senses an impact and stops the pump, you then press the switch to reset and allow flow again?

Thanks for the pointers chaps, I went for the twin 34'd in the end and had them jetted before delivery. After going through the threads I went for the following:

Idle 55
Mains 150
Emulsion F6
Air Corrector 165

Waiting on a few other bits before I can get the engine build completed, all goes back in with my new Transporterhaus Porsche backend, and my newly powder coated Cookie Cutters. Missing a few key shows but needs must :(

Let us know how you get on with them. I'd double check the jets if you haven't already. I think I read on the late bay that someone had ordered with specific jets and didn't get them

I had a hand written note inside with some long numbers next to jetting information, googled it and its the parts numbers of what I ordered. I did take one carb apart to check and found the Main, Idle and Air correction but struggled to find the emulsion thingy :oops:

If my eyes were working they are correct but will check again with a magnifying glass :D

From memory there is a screw in the centre underneath the cover of the carb. Unscrew that and the emulsion tube is underneath.

Latest posts