Best quality ball joints?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AxlFoley

Reaction score
All 4 ball joints on my van need replacing, and as it is such a big job I want to get the best quality replacement ball joints. My first call was to VW to see if they stick them, but sadly they don't. Now most air cooled suppliers stick Febi ones, but euro car parts have 3 different brands,

Q drive
Lemforder
Ocap

And GSF/Veewee stock "best quality"

I'm looking for someone who has had experience in fitting these and how long they have lasted.

Also does anyone know anyone that may have some genuine ones in stock.

Thanks in advance

Mark

I bought "regular" quality ones off GSF.
Big mistake.
The rubbers disintegrated in less than a year, with the bus having done about 20 miles.

I got a refund and bought Bilstein (I think, or might have been Febi) from JK.
Let's see how they go, but the rubber feels more like rubber and less like the chocolate GSF ones.

It proves the saying "buy cheap, buy twice".

And doing the job twice was a complete pain. Although they came apart quite easy after less than a year.

I've spoken to a few suppliers it seems the Febi ones are the ones to go for.

I'll give them a go and see how I get on.

Now the next question is, will a 10t press do the job?

AxlFoley said:
Now the next question is, will a 10t press do the job?

By rights yes! But saying that the last ones I did I ended up getting a mate who worked at a lorry engineering garage had to get them on the 30 ton press and some serious heat to get them out as my local garages 10 ton press wasn't so much as making a dent .
So luck of the draw really depends on how long they've been in there I suppose if there original then they may take some shifting

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Stay away from Febi, they are way to stiff!!!!
The only positive on them are the boots, i have them on and it took nearly 3 years to loosen up.
From what i here Nakata is the way to go.

I bought some from Heyd, made in Germany. They are supposed to be the best right now according to feedback on a German forum.

Ordered them here: https://www.tk-carparts.de/article/741/Traggelenk_oben_oder_unten.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are a bit tight when new (as are most of them) and I haven't had a chance to drive them very much at all so cannot say for sure whether they will losen up nicely after some miles.

They are also available here http://www.heckkraftmotors.de/de/T2/Vorderachse-und-Lenkung/Vorderachse/Traggelenk.html?switch_country=CH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but I have never ordered from this shop

Also, I guess that some of the UK shops probably carry them as well.

decisions decisions, I seems here are a few out there, I'm not sure where to go now!!

Thanks for your help though.

Fitted the meyle ones from VWH few month back, nicely engineered german

FEBI aren't always made in Germany

any other brand is sh1t these days, especially anything off GSF

Considering how much of a sod to fit, don't scrimp on price

Latest posts