best rear tyre profile.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubscum

Reaction score
i'm sticking with my steels, so the 185/75/14r are balloons that are a pain in the arse to get off (2 splines down) what are the lowest profile you can run at the rear without messing topspeed up ?

i liked the look of slammed, whats he runnin ? VVV
013-16.jpg

I would say any change from the standard height tyre is going to affect your gear ratios, what you could do is fit a narrower tyre that may be easier to remove.

i wouldent bother,i did the same and regreated it,anything more than 50 and it was reving very high and very noisey due to the high revs,

it looked like this before,i liked the look but that was all i liked,i would probably stick a big bar in the van and stick with what you have
filey010.jpg

i can get a pair of pretty good new 165/70/14r (a pair) for £71.90 or 175/70/14r for £79.90

i have 195/75/14rs so i think i should be able to live with the top speed.

not own my bus for long. it was standard but i can't leave things alone. pros and cons of 165 to 175 ?

cheers

Cool picture Ash! 8)

Regarding what I said earlier, 175 would be easier to get off yeah, but you'll always have a problem changing tyres when you're as low as that, even worse if you have short shocks like me as you have to unbolt them too! :lol:

I run 175/65x15 on the back & my gearing is totaly screwed.

I will be in 4th gear on a motorway slip road & it is about to explode at 60+mph.

I am gonna make some major changes to the bus before I drive it again.

slammedresto also runs 185/65/15 (and adjustable spring plates) - although he does have a 2L gearbox in his bus.

Anybody know how much difference the 2L box makes - compared to a standard 1600 box?

There's a few useful calculators here. Might help you get closer to the original rolling diamter... http://www.vwparts.net/veedub/X-gearcalc.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pete nice said:
I run 175/65x15 on the back & my gearing is totaly screwed.

I will be in 4th gear on a motorway slip road & it is about to explode at 60+mph.

I am gonna make some major changes to the bus before I drive it again.

I'm running 205/70s and have trouble getting up hills, :mrgreen:

I think I'll try 195/65, which is roughly midway between your 175/65 and my 205/70.

mcvw said:
slammedresto also runs 185/65/15 (and adjustable spring plates) - although he does have a 2L gearbox in his bus.

Anybody know how much difference the 2L box makes - compared to a standard 1600 box?

There's a few useful calculators here. Might help you get closer to the original rolling diamter... http://www.vwparts.net/veedub/X-gearcalc.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He has a 1914 twin carb motor too, more torque.

Here's a great little calc -

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

im running 185/80/R15's with a 1600 box for now and its pretty good but have plans for the gearbox :D

dubscum said:
basiclly i have to much rake, it will be spring plated and chassis notched at the rear but can't afford it yet so wanted a short term fix
006-17.jpg

How about a taller front tyre?

I am about to go 175/70x15 rear tyres & swap the gearbox for a DK, 2.0L T25 box...

I'm running 185/65/15's on the back of Hank and its fine, alters the gearing slightly but not that much.

I think the ideal combination from what I've seen etc is 185/65/15 rear and 175/55/15 front :mrgreen:

Graham L said:
I'm running 185/65/15's on the back of Hank and its fine, alters the gearing slightly but not that much.

I think the ideal combination from what I've seen etc is 185/65/15 rear and 175/55/15 front :mrgreen:

Totally agree with that chap :mrgreen: 8)

Thanks Ez

See you at some point this year :mrgreen:

Will do dooder ;) Gonna change my tyres to this combo in the winter as they have a good summers loving still in em 8)

Im going to be at Vanwest, Bristol Volks Show & Plymouth, these are the only shows that i know im defo doing at the mo. Mind you the misses will be taking the van to Big Bang as I am away :shock:

Will catch you for a cider and a natter 8)

Latest posts