Bit of advice needed :)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbluebullybus

Reaction score
Not about early bays as such but I'm sure at least one person out there will know the answer to my questions...

Thing is, since buying my lovely tintop and setting about rebuilding her, my other half has decided that he too would like a bus. He has a hankering for a splittie but was told by the guys at VW Relics a short while back that he won't be able to pick up a cheap one unless it's a right old dog and even then he'll still have to expect to fork out a good few grand for the privelege. Now call it a red rag to a bull but he see's this as a bit of a challenge and is determined to prove 'em wrong. He has therefore decided to look into the possibility of importing a cheap bus from South Africa; this is the plan - but he doesn't have a clue as to how to go about it!

Has anyone out there done this? What are the possible pitfalls? What does he need to do as regards paperwork to make sure that once purchased the bus can be brought back over to Blighty with no problems?

He's got a South African mate who's going back home for a couple of months and is already well briefed with regards to exactly what he's looking for and he's assured us that we will easily be able to pick a good vehicle up for under a grand. The tricky bit is what happens once it's paid for...

As long as you have the original papers you shouldnt have any problem bring a bus back although he will need to think about import duty, which in some countries can be a high percentage of the cost you paid for the van, i dont think it applies to buses coming into the UK though? at least i didnt have to pay any.

I recently imported my bus (a RHD devon) which had been taken overseas back into the UK, and i had problems with the registration docs, they were missing :D . But a call to the Revenue Department in that country, who held the original UK docs when it was imported out and they were able to send the books straight to me.

The DLVNI is almost the same as the DVLA, on the mainland had no problems reregistering the bus back on to the same plates it had when it was first registered. Im not sure how this would apply to your S.A. bus.

He'll have to have it shipped, and pay that cost of course. Then he'll have to pay import duty and VAT (at full rate) plus handling charges.
Then its yours!
MOT and insure it, then get it registered via the DVLA for £38.

Proper German old splits are out there, but remember that if you import a South African built fleetline split then they will be worth less over here, and may not be tax free .... as well as having some different body styling .... worth considering.

Duties are paid on the value of the van. Receipt it for less to pay less tax, but if anything happens in transit you'll only be able claim that amount.

Good luck!

Pop onto VZi and do a search for importing vans on there, plenty of people have done it. From there you should be able to get the phone number or various shipping agents. Give them a ring explain what you need and they should be able to sort you out with regard to getting it back.

Getting it registered isn't normally as difficult as you'd expect.

carole said:
The DVLA have just increased the registration fee from £38 to £50....... :(
Drop in the ocean really, you'll be paying out for your dating letter from VW UK and your MOT at the same time!

Latest posts