"Bluey" the Green 1971 Westy - eh?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loving this mate , Big fan of Green westys , shame you are going to change that !

Jealous of the garage you jammy git ;)

Keep up the good work ,

Grazy said:
Loving this mate , Big fan of Green westys , shame you are going to change that !

Jealous of the garage you jammy git ;)

Keep up the good work ,

Cheers Grazy.

TBH I really want to keep it Green. I love a bit of Delta :D

But this is going to be the family bus and I wanted the kids to feel involved and get interested.
I tried to sway opinion but in the end I was over-ruled by 3 to 1 :lol:

Anyway, there aren't that many Brilliant Blue Westies around either and its a great colour so I'm happy enough ;)

BrilliantBlue3.jpg

And yup, very jammy with the workshop situation :party0006:

Its not all good news though, would it make you feel better if I told you it was raining in Mallorca today?

No.....OK, I'll get me coat
auto20.gif

:lol:

Surely if its raining that mean an excuse to be in the garage working on your bus !! 8)

Update time...

OK, so the Brazilian backing plates turned up to go with the spindles and discs and of course they don't fit the dropped spindles. They contact the lower link pin and need clearancing.

BrazilBackingPlate1.jpg

BrazilBackingPlate2.jpg

BrazilBackingPlate3.jpg

But after what I would like to describe as a quick phone call with Gadget, but obviously can't because it was Gadget I was being talked to by :D , I just removed the spare shims from behind the link pin heads and a quick knock with the hammer to the plate and a bit of dremmel action on the edges of the lower kingpin and all is good. Cheers Gadget ;)

Next problem was the calipers binding on the upper link pins and preventing the full turning circle.....

BrazilianSpindleandCaliper1.jpg

A bit of grinding with the dremmel later and its all good.....

BrazilianSpindleandCaliper3.jpg

BrazilianspindleandCaliper2.jpg

There now follows a Public Service Announcement :D

After receiving the wrong rear drums twice, I asked the shop concerned to check their stock of late bay rear drums. Sure enough every box had a T25 rear drum in it! Turns out the manufacturer has screwed up big time and supplied the wrong drums in the correct boxes to ALL its retailers who have taken a recent delivery! how expensive is that screw up going to be LOL. I'm now waiting for another new pair of drums coming direct from the manufacturer in Germany :D
If you are buying new rear drums for your 71-72 EB anytime soon get the seller to check part numbers in the box against the label, it may save you some disappointment ;) And if anyone needs T25 rear drums, hit me up; I have good stock PMSL.

As you were :D

Moving on, I wasn't to happy with the amount of camber on the back end. Despite me being a resto-cal boy at heart, too much camber on the wide backend of a bay just doesn't look right imo.

I read the entire "how to lower your bay window" thread on the samba last weekend (185 pages!) and someone on there mentioned flipping the A arms over side to side, so I did.......

De-cambered1.jpg

De-cambered2.jpg

I'm still not entirely happy but it's much better than it was. I've seen pictures of the A arm brackets being repositioned but not entirely sure what's involved except they are cut and rotated upwards. Can anyone shed any more info on this mod?

I'm also thinking of adding 10mm spacers behind the front wheels because it looks to narrow IMO, especially when compared to the rear which is pretty wide on a fat chick, pffft :)

Before front spacers...

719d75e205ea060f29cfbf60e38321d6.jpg

FinalRideStance2.jpg

After front spacers...

FinalRideStance3.jpg

FinalRideStance1.jpg

Opinions?

Only problem is I will need to install longer wheel studs on the front as the fuch casting is very deep and I could only get a couple of turns on each nut with the spacer in place.

So, the front end gremlins are nearly all sorted. Just the handbrake cable routing to sort but it looks like a case of modifying the spreader bar to clear the steering arm and gear linkage and its a job that can be done when it all goes back together. I'm going to add steering stops and a bracket for the steering damper to the beam but can do this out of the bus and on the bench. So with the ride height sorted and the front measured and marked up for notching, it was time to move to the rear.

I made a start yesterday by removing the engine and transmission to get access for chassis notching...

EngineAndTranmissionOut1.jpg

EngineAndTranmissionOut2.jpg

This 1776 will be cleaned up, fitted with my 36 dells and Mallory/Pertronix and slung in the crew cab.

I've got a 2007 with 44's to go in the Westy once it's done. The 2007 was originally for the crewie and bought 2 years ago but I just never had the time to build it up and fit it. The extra power will be much better suited for the heavier Westy and the 1776 for the lighter crewie so it's all worked out well in the end ;)

Discovered some interesting wiring concepts.....

ElectricsWhatsthisthen1.jpg

ElectricsWhatsthisthen2.jpg

Hello...

ElectricsWhatsthisthen4.jpg

6 wires to from the started motor! :shock:

ElectricsWhatsthisthen3.jpg

Judging from the melted wires under the dash I found whilst doing the MOT work, this bus has suffered a serious meltdown at some point.

I think i'm going to buy and install a new loom and get the wiring all factory like ;)

Anyone recommend a good loom?

There we go. I missed a bit off the link and yours just needed a space before http ;-)
creationblue said:
yachty said:
Jealousie seal replacement video thread on the samba.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?

Just for my future reference ;)

Linky no worky................ try this http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479591" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts