Boris

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20160511_095056_zpsihdfivll.jpg

Rolling road to check and see if in winter I fixed it rather than f...d it.

Happy to report only the timing was a little out and a little lean on the mixture side.
Neil at NE Motors outside Shepton Mallett in the village of Pylle was the extremely nice person to do
listen and instruct me on the things I needed to know. Worth the trip.

CO reading 2.2
HC's reading 0.2

Horsepower at the flywheel about 50
Horsepower at the wheels about 38
Not bad considering I have no history on the engine and it came out of a beetle. Expected figures for 1.6 twin port standard.

So all in all a fairly clean bill of health. :D :D

J & P
:D :D :D

Thanks Andy, twitching moment when he pushed the rev's to 4000.
Anyway all is well. Yours is coming along nicely to I see. Keep it up.

J & P

Result mate - cant wait to get Murphy on a rolling road, will get it sorted eventually!
8) 8)

Neil's a nice chap and very good at what he does, used him for years.

Oh I'm in Yeovil by the way gas1man, so not far, bus not on the road yet thou :cry:

James

Well decided to check how old the Beru coil was and turns out it was just out of guarantee.
So new one ordered and duly arrived from them dudes at Machine 7. Decided to add a carb
fuel cut off valve to the order as I do not have a spare. The coil died on a trip out which is
rather strange for a Beru that has not had more than 4000 miles on it. Oh Well more bits etc.....

20160526_191340_zpsz7awtnlc.jpg

Am going to ask in technical section how to test the old one, and what might I have done to kill it, if anything.
Hoping for a nice bank holiday weekend. Enjoy yours peeps.

J & P

So replaced coil as it turned out to be dead as a doornail. Pippa and I packed up Friday night
and shot down to Plymouth on a whim to spend some time with my son. Lovely weather.
Boris ran like a dream with minor hesitation on pull away. Hope to sort asap. Lost the mains beam
only to find it had come unplugged, all good now.

20160529_102525_zpskxew0mxm.jpg

Enjoy the rest of the weekend. Some summer sun at last :) :)

J & P

Dude, you just need to make sure a window is slightly open before you "pop the top" as the raising of the roof draws in a huge amount of air, if it can't flow into the bus the roof becomes hard work to erect!!! ;-)

gas1man said:
Yes , I think that the amount of tension depends on how much you can turn the no: 18 nut whilst in position.
A very thin spanner so it can be done in place is what is required and then another on the other side to tighten it up.
Whilst it was out you can see where the bolt head fits into the recess. This needs turning and tensioning in position
and the spring is under major tension when in place. I suspect this is why so many springs break.
I have replaced mine but the tension is not excessive and also a little hard to push up. Rather that than replacing again and again. Rikki James has a lovely pop top and was at the EB camp out. When he pulled up I spotted his pop top go up and the speed and effort looked effortless. I managed to grab a few words and asked him about it.
Unfortunately he has no idea and has not had to replace his springs. Think it just means a little oomph that's all.

J & P

Thanks Rikki, I did find out the hard way, fortunately that was way back before speaking to you.
Having now replaced the spring , it opens like a dream and is amazing how much one spring can make.
Thanks again and love that bus.

J & P

So Friday at last. Grabbed myself and Pippa a bite to eat and shot out to the garage to do a repair.
This has been a problem for a while now and have not been able to fix. Well a construction mate of
mine told me about this stuff and the demo he watched convinced him it's the new number one thing.

Even the stuff called "sticks like shit " did not work , so maybe this will do the trick.
Apparently the best thing since sliced bread ,so we shall see after 2 days of sticking and undisturbed
sat in one placed not touched stuckness, whether it works??

20160603_190540_zpsghzrlah9.jpg

You never know it might just do the business. The problem has been the rear hatch seal , coming out of
the channel and no amount of glueness has worked. :shock: :shock: Time will tell.
Going to try and get some more sponge to replace the 4 inch dense foam with 4 inch normal foam this
weekend as a little too hard on these old bones. :lol:

Enjoy the weekend.

J & P

So this last weekend the Scrumpy Dubbers had a morning run to the Heyn's Museum.
We had not been there for a while and decided to join the gang for a breakfast.
On arrival we found the car parks full already and ended up in the side field with a
load of others. A huge mix of vehicles were to be seen and they serve a great breakfast.
Below are a few pic's scavenged off the net and taken by a fellow dubber.

FB_IMG_1465415655399_zpsgbznccyi.jpg

FB_IMG_1465415647521_zpsjj5tlsg3.jpg

FB_IMG_1465415624085_zpsioxbmrdk.jpg

FB_IMG_1465415602229_zpsj5xvyidu.jpg

FB_IMG_1465415636699_zps7chsqqj3.jpg

FB_IMG_1465415689928_zpsyf1r6dg0.jpg

FB_IMG_1465415571930_zpsjslydrvg.jpg

Second last photo owned by the photographer and of course Boris was also photographed. Thanks to Darren for
the pic's. We are off to Cornwall for a week, so looking forward to it. Hoping the glue on the hatch works.
If you are out and about , travel safe and have a good week.

J & P

20160612_175346_zpstd8f71bp.jpg

20160613_141719_zpsnxkeg8tk.jpg

20160615_195223_zps5s8m89pk.jpg

20160615_201947_zpsskws4dgo.jpg

20160616_142242_zpsnu75xucq.jpg

20160616_142653_zpslpmge5gk.jpg

20160617_162925_zpstrylxdzp.jpg

20160617_203254_zpsxrmibekl.jpg

From top to bottom , home for 5 nights of wind and rain and storms. All walking was in foul weather bar one evening when the sun came out and we did a quick hour jaunt when the sun popped out. Spotted the Padstow life boat return from a practise run , and the final pic of Boris making a nuisance of himself right in the middle of Padstow. Did 20.5 miles in all. Mother Ivy's bay(base camp) to Padstow, and the seven bays in the other direction over 4 days.
Faultless behaviour from Boris there and back. Front brakes need checking now as a slight ting ting noise can be
heard when driving. Well back to work for some. Have a good week everyone.

J & P

Little bit of fettling done this weekend due to not going out.
Circumstances happen and blows your plans. Never mind always something to do.
Removed and replaced the end swivels on my Butty's Bit's Throttle linkage.
Mine was an early model and so getting the new end piece dust covers is a good idea.
Amazing how quickly they crud up.

20160702_162513_zpscjzqeb4x.jpg

20160702_162750_zpsy0cpqwfb.jpg

20160702_162820_zpsg90n7mkz.jpg

Also trying to pair phone to radio :evil: :evil: :evil: f...g technology. Bloody pin numbers.

Have a good week everyone.

J & P

I love this thread. I love reading about Boris! :popcorn:

Thanks Abby, Boris is going on a trip this coming week so will keep you posted.
Found a split in the front rubbers on the suspension :evil: :evil: . Will have to be
done when we return. Suspension being a black art to me. Living so far away from city centres
does not make it any easier, and finding someone you trust with your pension. :lol: :lol:

J & P

Ahh - yep, I had to have both of mine replaced last year too for the MOT
Used to be an advisory but now its a pass or fail issue!
Crappy quality rubber

Not a safety issue though just there to prevent the ingress of mud/dirt/etc
So keep on trucking! 8) 8)

Latest posts