Boris

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Abby, I like rat bus his look is good for the name unless you plan to go shiney.

More work today in the garage, bloody rain. Finally finished the valves , drip test tomorrow.

Flaps are being installed into fan housing next, fingers crossed.
J & P
:D :D :D

Well managed to spend time in garage today. Finished the flaps to see if they will work.

Although it does not look like it, drip test on all 8 valves with petrol to check for leaks. I am pretty chuffed
to say the least , first time doing this and on 2 leaks. Removed and redid them for it to pass.

Finished painting the tin ware for over the gearbox. Turned out well and saved myself about £80 odd.

Did not realise they came in different sizes, must have wasted about half an hour of my time :lol: :lol:

So to the final job of the day before having to go cook the dinner. Put the head back on and started to tighten
it down , refused to budge about 5mm off the bottom and snapped a cylinder head stud.

F..........................k was all I could utter , dropped parts all over and put my cut finger in a caustic soda solution,
F...........................K was what I shouted as I sprinted for the tap to wash it off. :shock: :shock: .
Do not try this at home. Shut up shop and headed for the kitchen to do the tea.

Hope you lot have a good week.

J & P

Work as a lecturer , smelling like the pub first thing , probably not a good idea. :lol: :lol:
The thought did cross my mind however. Cunning plan you are going to need more corn buddy
this is taking a while, steep learning curve. :lol: :lol:

J & P

Well some more work done over the weekend, after having read about squashed seals I am now very wary
of how tight I made the nuts on the oil cooler??????????????
Well we shall have to see when it's back together. If the oil light don't go out I shall know what the problem is. :lol:

Heads back on and torqued up. I reckon I must have removed and replaced the tin ware for the fan about ten times before I did not have to take it off again for something else I had forgotten.

And by the end of the day things were starting to look normal again.

Forgot to order new seals for the exhaust, have to wait a few days and then back on it , the manifolds still to do.

Well was kinda cold in the garage but a whole lot of fun.
Have a great week everyone.

J & P

Dude, that looks NICE!

Can't wait for first start...Ruugh, Ruugh, Ruugh, RuuugHHHGHHHGGGG, boouhhhghm, boouhhhghm, boouhhhghm boouhhhghm. :party0021:

cunning plan said:
Dude, that looks NICE!

Can't wait for first start...Ruugh, Ruugh, Ruugh, RuuugHHHGHHHGGGG, boouhhhghm, boouhhhghm, boouhhhghm boouhhhghm. :party0021:
+1 :mrgreen:

Thanks guys , can't wait either. Although it will be with some trepidation.
But as everyone keeps saying it will be fine :shock: :shock:

J & P

Exhaust seals still not turned up :( :( Never mind managed to put the fly wheel back on and new rear main oil seal
torqued it up then remembered I forgot the locktite so removed and redid with the assistance of Pippa standing on the other side of the engine stand , just for support mind. ;)

Still can not put exhaust back on till seals arrive, hopefully this week. Then time for the carb .
After that rear oil seal on gearbox needs to be done as well. All in good time.
Have a great week everyone.

J & P

Well struck down with some thing on Friday and had to come home early from work. Pounding headache.
Put paid to my Friday evening in the garage.
Saturday down to Plymouth to see the boy at university and a bite to eat. Back to late to start work.
Sunday and managed to grab a few hours in the man cave. Engine now has tin ware and the exhaust back on,
plugs and leads and carburettor as well. Just about ready to fill with oil and keep my fingers crossed.
Next job is the seal on the gearbox shaft, before the engine goes back in.

That's it no pic's Im afraid left phone in house/ forgot. Have a good week everyone, update soon.

J & P

Monday night and managed to dump the gearbox oil to replace the input shaft seal.
Most went into the container however there was a large puddle around the container where I
managed to miss some :lol: :lol: As you can see from the pic the seal seems to be leaking and left a small pool in the bell housing whilst waiting for me to get to it, so feel justified in doing the job.

Am now working on a sponge type piece of rubber cut to hold the HT leads to the fan housing.
Photo's to follow, think it's not as good as the real thing but at the moment needs must.

Enjoy the rest of the week.

J & P

So popped next door to the garage where I work and loaned the seal removal tool for the night.
Bloody hell :shock: :shock: That mother f... was tight. Thought I might pull the bus off its stands.
Out now and worse for wear, new one to go in on the weekend hopefully.

J & P

So new rear input shaft oil seal replaced and a load of other bits and pieces done.

I am missing the part in the top picture , so a friend on this site has bought one and we are going to do a deal whereby he gets my door cards set and I get a new hoover part.
Engine just waiting some hose clips for fuel hose and the hoover piece then should be going back in.
That's it for now , have a good week peeps.

J & P

First two pictures show my repaired hoover piece and at the bottom the newly acquired piece from a good friend on here and a fellow SD.

Now some of you will know that Boris has had his engine refurbed over the winter and was done by me and with great trepidation and a lot of encouragement from a lot of you .
Well the last picture shows Boris' engine back in place and once all connected the starter was not touched for about 5 days whilst I ran through what I had done and what still needed to be done.

Then came that fateful point of no return and the key was turned.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D :p :p :p :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: ;)

WOW coughed into life and runs on choke. Won't idle ,but I think that's just the carb adjustment seeing as how that was also rebuilt and hopefully just a tweak.

PARTY PARTY PARTY............

Hopefully spend this weekend tweaking a few bits , add a bolt or two and then maybe a test drive. Cant wait it's
been so long. Thanks for all the help people and hope to be at the Early Bay Campout to thank you in person.

J & P

Some more work done over the weekend, looks a lot better now. Valance off shows where the one moustache bar bolt still needs to be installed. It has stripped so need to find a longer bolt to try and find some extra grip.
Found that the carb has started to ooze petrol from one of the mouldings :evil: :evil:
Then to top that off after spending time trying to tune the carb a drip of oil has appeared at that fateful point
the rear main oil seal spot?????????? :evil: :evil: :evil: . Will have to put him back up on a ramp to try and find
the problem.

Think the two new rear lights are a damn side better than the old ones and finish the rear off nicely.
Oh the blue stuff on the exhaust is wrap that I had left over from doing the heater tubes, also protects the
heater tubes from that intense heat at that spot on the bend.

More news later. Have a good week everyone.

J & P

Latest posts