Boris

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feel for ha with the rear main oil seal... Mine was pissing out so dropped the engine and replaced it.... Re fitted engine and.... Pissing out still :roll:
Bus back next week so will pull the engine again and do it again!
Then on to seeing why the carb is icing up... Even with a willy warmer 'leccy blanket fitted :shock:

Cheers for that Andy , don't look to bad.
bertiethebus , after taking so much care at the time because you know the consequences,
if I find just a small drip then the engine stays put and gets fresh oil till we need to drop engine. :lol:

J & P
:D :D :D

So trip to my mates garage and onto the ramp. :( :x Small drip , clean oil so defo still leaking.
No idea where from ,so staying put for now. Managed to install the final engine mounting bolt.
Well cant seem to tune the carb, will put it out there in the technical section. Anyway gave him a
good airing after the winter lay up and engine rebuild.

Then straight back in, and off to have an MOT :shock: :shock: Wednesday the 30th. Fingers crossed.

Have a great week peeps.

J & P

Finally back out there and due for the dreaded MOT :shock: :shock: on the 30th, so fingers crossed.
So chuffed and really pleased with the result, my first major overhaul and all seems to be fine so far.
Thanks for looking all.

J & P

:party0046: :party0046: :party0046: :rocknroll: :rocknroll: :party0003: :party0003: BRING ON THE SUMMER

Yes passed the dreaded MOT ......... Really chuffed with the result.( No advisories ).
Small oil leak from the rear main I suspect........Will have to live with it for now. Brakes are not perfect can now see where to adjust.
Timing to be set now.. :shock: :shock: Bit of a black art to me so loads more research.
Now determined to make it to the EB campout. :) :)

Hope it's a good week.

J & P

Thanks guys , such a relief.

WOZ , the gent who does the MOT asked if I would like a print out and I said yes , no extra charge.
The chap who does it has been in the motor trade all his life and does approx. 400 mot's a month.
Very well respected , two of them in a partnership in Lydford Cross.
I take my bus there as they understand old cars and know where things should give and take for age
and what is safe or not as the case may be. I have nothing against the peeps that do them now days
but the guide lines and margins are so small that some of our busses would not have a hope in hell if
the person thought it should react like a 2016 VW T5.

Worth the forty quid and the 12 mile journey I think...... Thanks again guys for the kind words.

J & P

Boris' first major trip out today. Not that far I grant you but at least 30 miles.
Travelled to a local classic car show at Hazzelbury Mill and parked up for a few hours for charity.
Met a few people that we have not seen for a while, and some we see everyday. :lol: :lol:
Great to catch up and chat. Got to meet some peeps that helped out with some much needed info as well.
Back home and a lower half wash down vacuum and wipe as no time between now and EB campout. :) :p
Lovely original Westy parked next to us attracting loads of looks for us both, think Boris had his fair share.

See you lot soon hopefully...........Have a marvellous week.

J & P

Well this serves as proof that we were there. Great weekend had. Was really cold and managed to kill the
leisure battery on the first night. Small trip out on Saturday did not do the job so a touch cold without heating.
The wind howled on the top of the ridge but everyone I am sure had a good time , with loads of buses to see and
people to meet. Questions asked and answered.
The top pic is a video and only 12 seconds long , so not boring.

Have a great bank holiday and week.

J & P

Not away this weekend so got Boris out to do some work.

Remove and replace a broken spring on the pop top mechanism that I have been meaning to do for ages.

Installed new one. Quite a bit of resistance there I might add.

This is an attempt to replace side step rubbers, did not work they have shrunk quite a lot. Will ask in general
section for help.

Hoping for a trip on a rolling road around about the 11th of May. Pictures to follow.
Have a great long weekend.

J & P

How are the new roof springs, the design originally was that you'd give it a light push and the springs would take it up to fully elevated, my springs are in place but unfortunately I have to do all the work!

Yes , I think that the amount of tension depends on how much you can turn the no: 18 nut whilst in position.
A very thin spanner so it can be done in place is what is required and then another on the other side to tighten it up.
Whilst it was out you can see where the bolt head fits into the recess. This needs turning and tensioning in position
and the spring is under major tension when in place. I suspect this is why so many springs break.
I have replaced mine but the tension is not excessive and also a little hard to push up. Rather that than replacing again and again. Rikki James has a lovely pop top and was at the EB camp out. When he pulled up I spotted his pop top go up and the speed and effort looked effortless. I managed to grab a few words and asked him about it.
Unfortunately he has no idea and has not had to replace his springs. Think it just means a little oomph that's all.

J & P

Hey peeps, so ran away from home for one night as the weather was said to be good and we had nothing planned.
Up early Saturday morning down to the Dorset coast via a quick visit to our friends in Poundbury.
Top picture is quite old and thought I would just show why it was made. Really is Pippa's idea and works a treat.
Basically its just a piece of ply placed above seats backrests and we place our clothes on it . Far easier access.
Shelf is not bowed just the angle of the pic and the roof line is off putting.

Two pic's of the sun and the short walk we did and the camp site to the right in the one pic. Last pic is of Pippa relaxing next to our new air tent.
Thoroughly tested as it hammered down on Saturday night.
Needless to say it leaked and is being returned, however we would like to keep it so will see what go outdoors has to say.

Driving back home and on the way nearly got taken out by a flying wheel and had to take evasive action :shock: :shock: , little
shaken but nobody hurt. Not ours!!!! Drive for another three miles or so and there is no response to throttle.
Now what :shock: :shock:
Manage to pull into on coming traffic layby and check engine. Can't see anything so start feeling around temperature
wise and the coil is so hot I cant keep hold of it. Always carry loads of spares so decide to start replacing till fixed.
Remember same sort of problem somewhere on this site having read it , started with coil.
Low and behold put old Bosch unit back in and off we went, home with no more happenings.

Eventful to say the least. Well have managed to book rolling road to check Boris out this week after the winter fixes.
Hopefully am able to learn about tuning and timing. Check out the emissions to.

Have a great week everyone, results to follow. ;) Fingers crossed.

J & P

Nice pics 8)

So - the coil getting overly hot - is it one of those Chinese copies?

Hey Andy , was a blue one from Machine 7 and as they said don't often go wrong.
Anyway out of warranty so will be getting a Petronix one I think. Machine 7 don't supply Beru.

J & P

Thought I had seen somewhere that theres not much difference between the coils available on the market, and the Lucas ones available on eBay etc are more than suitable? Those petronix ones are fairly expensive aren't they?!

Sent from my Siswoo C55 using Tapatalk

Do seem to be a lot more expensive???????????????
So is it a case of you get what you pay for this time??????????????

Who knows???????????????

Will ask my mechanic mate tomorrow.

J & P

Latest posts