Boris

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Able bud, I’ve just had a few issues with mine as in the the thrust shoulder had come adrift on the cam bearing. Not a biggy to sort but this was possibly the forerunner to my issues with the rocker gear on my Brazilly motor. Sorted it out easily enough but then with the onset of a heavy cold and my Mrs had one and my good friend working on it with me so we were all dopier than normal. We struggled and struggled to get that damned motor back in and eventually wound it in on long bolts :msn4:
In another thread on this gallery, another chap was having issues with his clutch adjustment, so I thought I’d perhaps help by measurements from the bell housing to the thrust bearing with the clutch pedal up and with it down and how far the lever was visually moved by the clutch cable :mrgreen: . In order to keep it down, I cut a piece of baton to wedge under the dash. I then forget all about this :lol: and then tried to slide the motor in :roll: It’s a lot HARDER if you’re trying to squeeze the pressure plate too because some fool has left a stick holding down the clutch pedal :? :? :evil:
Anyhow, it’s in, it’s running, it’s been to Dubs At The Castle and now needs a little fettling. Got a bit of fuel wash on one side and the timing looked like the Fourth of July so maybe another dizzy is on the cards. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,good to hear from you,,,, don’t stay toooo busy pal :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
Able bud, I’ve just had a few issues with mine as in the the thrust shoulder had come adrift on the cam bearing. Not a biggy to sort but this was possibly the forerunner to my issues with the rocker gear on my Brazilly motor. Sorted it out easily enough but then with the onset of a heavy cold and my Mrs had one and my good friend working on it with me so we were all dopier than normal. We struggled and struggled to get that damned motor back in and eventually wound it in on long bolts :msn4:
In another thread on this gallery, another chap was having issues with his clutch adjustment, so I thought I’d perhaps help by measurements from the bell housing to the thrust bearing with the clutch pedal up and with it down and how far the lever was visually moved by the clutch cable :mrgreen: . In order to keep it down, I cut a piece of baton to wedge under the dash. I then forget all about this :lol: and then tried to slide the motor in :roll: It’s a lot HARDER if you’re trying to squeeze the pressure plate too because some fool has left a stick holding down the clutch pedal :? :? :evil:
Anyhow, it’s in, it’s running, it’s been to Dubs At The Castle and now needs a little fettling. Got a bit of fuel wash on one side and the timing looked like the Fourth of July so maybe another dizzy is on the cards. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,good to hear from you,,,, don’t stay toooo busy pal :mrgreen:

Ozzie, you are amazing, i can`t stop laughing :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glad to be here again.. i`ve been too busy with loads of things; divorce mainly.. but all sorte :roll: d now

Please call me whenever you need help mate, that`s what friends are for, anytime, just shout ;)

Take care my friend :D

Abel

Very critical point here. Deck height

A tight deck is essential for an efficient engine, also for a cool running one. A deck of between 1-1.5mm is what you want, i like the 1.1-1.2mm area for most engines. An engine with a greater deck will use more fuel and run hotter, due to the combustion being spread all across the entire piston surface including the edge of the cylinders and piston rings.

On J and P`s, we have 1.25mm deck, and with a combustion chamber of 58 cc`s, we end up with a compression of 8.4:1 which is excellent for the cam we using, the Scat C25. The engine will be very efficient and use less fuel. :D

Soooooooooooooo happy to see this done.
Engine built and ready then gearbox return from the magician that is Walklett with a longer fourth.
A decent connection from Limebug for the gearbox.
And a couple of pictures of the completed job.

Entrusted to a perfectly Able at Afonso Motors situated in the Midlands area of Wrexham.

I have to be patient now as the fuel fuc.....en stupidity crisis has prevented me from fetching Boris.
On the plus side he will stay and be put on the rolling road before I drive him home. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Can't wait to do this, have a great weekend all. Stay safe and virus free.

J & P
:D :D :D

Looks amazing and so well deserved for Boris (and you 2 of course) [emoji6]

Great to know that we’ll soon be moving even closer to such a fabulous craftsman [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FINALLY............ Both Pippa and I are going to fetch Boris and bring him home with a new heart.
It's taken so long because the owner of the rolling road is so busy. Time will tell.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

J & P

Don’t take too much notice of the dyno figures, you can put an engine in 3 different rolling roads and get 3 very different out puts. However it is the best way to get the fuelling and tune dialled in 8)

Use your bum dyno to gauge how powerful it is.

Hey K@rlos,

Yes , so the rolling road was only for tuning and dialling in. I am not fussed about bhp.

Picked up Boris at about 11h00 and hit the road at 12h00. What with stopping and eating and getting lost twice :lol: :lol: .
Finally home at 18h00. :shock: :shock: :shock: What a difference a new engine makes. :lol: :lol: (song there somewhere).

No oil spots on the back, no drips visible and consumption wise less than half a tank home. According to Google Maps
we stay 200 miles from Afonso Motors, so good consumption.

Anyway the new engine performed as promised. It is so responsive and will keep accelerating at 60.
Looking back on the tracker I did not exceed 70 once and it performed admirably.

Money well spent so far , and a big shout out to Abel at Afonso Motors for the work and time put in.

Time will tell as the lump is still a bit tight so will perform better as time goes by.

one very happy chap and Pippa. :lol: :lol:

Stay safe everyone.

J & P

Is this the same bus you always had? If so, where are the cow horns?
Looking good 😎

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Well, this sucks ...big time.
Great idea to sell the house and come out on top even after getting rid of the bank.

BUT

Now I have no garage and Boris is in storage. Access is so limited, worryingly I can't start him once a week.
The up side is at least he's fairly warm and has electrical hook-up.

Trying to find a garage with access anytime, electricity and enough height is difficult and close to where I stay makes it a even harder.

Anyway enough moaning ............. I hope everyone has a great festive period and stay healthy and safe out there.

MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR.

J & P

Been ages since I last updated this thread, being bus less is not good for the soul.:(:(
Even Pippa is feeling the loss. There might just be a glimmer of light on the horizon and the chance of a garage to rent that hopefully Boris
will go in through the door. Got given a Bently Service manual for my birthday. Should help with odds and sods.😁😁

Have also just purchased my ticket for the Early Bay campout, not missing another one..

Keep well all and stay safe.

J & P
😀😀😀

Latest posts