Busfest.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not been since 2018, with bus or as a visitor. Busiest and Camperjam were our main family shows each year. Would be interested to here opinions.
Hey @Nugsy. Oh right. I havent seen anything on this years yet but i bet it was a good show. I have never been to Camperjam. Is it good ? Come to think of it. The only show i have done in many years is Dubs at the castle and that was for the day. Maybe one day il actually camp at a show when i find some good acquaintances to travel and camp with ha. 🙂🤙.

I actually saw an I.D Buzz at Dubs at the Castle for the first time this year and i was surprised how big they are. I thought they were going to be much smaller. Way too modern for me though ha. I only got my head around a watch you can actually pay things with. Im terrible with tech ha. Apparently so i have seen though, Busfest had a good selection of Aircooleds this year. Hopefully its the way forward and aircooleds making a good come back again. 🙂🤙.

Hey folks. Anyone actually there this year ? 🙂🤙
Hi there, I was... and enjoyed it . Surprised it was mainly newer vans but never the less a great weekend. Had an unusual noise when turning from the rear !! But thought I'm still going. When queueing to get in and the numerous stop starts another noise appeared a clonk when the engine stopped!! Well got set up on Friday morning and Saturday afternoon thought I really needed to know if i was going to make it back home on Sunday. What I did find was the cooling fan blade had become loose. In the heat of the day I removed the alternator from the fan housing and wondered in to the sellers area thinking I need to buy a 36mm socket which I didn't have with me. A really helpful guy in the Alan Schofield stall had a spanner and helped me tighten it. Struggled to get the housing to seat , sweating buckets but once in rebuilt and tested all good and a fast and sweet ride home.
A good test for the gearbox built by John waklett gearboxes, the higher gearing is amazing and has transformed the ride. My 1776cc managed it well although hills are still a challenge.

I actually saw an I.D Buzz at Dubs at the Castle for the first time this year and i was surprised how big they are. I thought they were going to be much smaller. Way too modern for me though ha. I only got my head around a watch you can actually pay things with. Im terrible with tech ha. Apparently so i have seen though, Busfest had a good selection of Aircooleds this year. Hopefully its the way forward and aircooleds making a good come back again. 🙂🤙.

That is interesting, a trader near me has one and I was surprised how small it was. Smaller than a bay I am sure. More a splitscreen size. Do they do different wheel bases?

And I like them too!

We went yesterday and there was more Aircooled stuff there than last year.
I have to say some of these camping converted T6’s do look amazing and if I could afford one and had the parking space I’d get one but not at the cost of losing my splitty no way 😂

Didnt go this time even though its about 4 miles away (lack of funds) but saw some cool rides as I drove home from my unit.

Hopefully this show is on the bounce back

Use to attend for a weekend of camping annually. We had our own patch and a regular 10-15 in attendance. But lack of aircooled and same bands year in, sucked the fun out of it.

Hopeful that it improves. What a weekend camping ticket cost? Used to be one of the higher priced shows but scale of it was worth it.

I went as a day visitor on the Saturday. It is still biased towards T5 and T6s, but less so than last year. Autojumble was disappointing. I did meet a fellow 1970 Dormobile owner, and came away with a Jupiter Jet foot pump for the sink tap. He only bought it for the original foot pedal. Sadly, the pump has a crack in it, I noticed on cleaning and testing.

Does anyone know of any spares, I'd like to fit a pump, as my van hasn't had one whilst I've owned it.

I found the team at Alan Schofield very helpful too.

Glad I had pass-out for the day, it wouldn't have been worth tickets for 4, and my searching would have bee greatly hampered!

For it to make a return to its Aircooled days they would need to attract the Aircooled traders and Autojumblers back but as Sean the trade manager pissed us all off years ago that's never going to happen, he's the reason most traders no longer go, he was their 'trade prevention officer'
Plenty of other Aircooled only shows to go to without the need to go to busfest and it's these shows that we should be supporting:
-Classics at the Clubhouse (although lots of porkers)
-Aircooled/Earlybay Campout I organise
-Pre 79 meet at Stafford (first one this year was really good and I'm sure will be back again)
And plenty of others.

but as Sean the trade manager pissed us all off years ago that's never going to happen, he's the reason most traders no longer go, he was their 'trade prevention officer'

100%

I dont know about trade, but from a club perspective - we could book designated camping no problem and that was usually good. However, the line ups/displays were very hard work - they pushed some displays year on year such as alternative engines or well travelled campers but the SSVC and Early Bay line ups were pretty much left up to 'guerrilla tactics' to self organise. They worked well some years but then space in prime areas was given over to dealerships promoting brand new transporters and it became very hard work.
After a while, and coupled with the decline in attendance in traders and other enthusiasts it just ended up not worthwhile. I understand these things are hard to organise, but it also become so formulaic - welsh ska band there, DJ Kweeony there, Druids Brew there, racist comedian there etc etc ....
I've not been for a few years now despite it being only 15 miles away and knowing its full of modern vans and knowing its a pretty expensive entrance fee, I don't see a return anytime soon. Shame.

I didn't bother this year and I had a free ticket. Will be attending DATC this weekend though and happily paid for the ticket

Agree 100% with all that Busfest is not what it used to be. I have stickers along the bottom my 1971 T2a windscreen going back to 2001 when is was called Vanfest. Great crack and loads of aircooled vans, AC traders, descent food stalls and bands back then. Went last year and I reckon only 10% (if that) were air-cooled vans and hardly any AC traders. Didn't bother this year. Its a shame because its a lovely spot under the shadow of the Malvern hills.

Latest posts