Buying an engine...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irishpete

Reaction score
Right, this is a bit of a strange one but you never know.

One of the reasons I bought a bus was so that I could learn a bit about how to keep it on the road and look after it properly myself. Unfortunately we have started to use her regularly for weddings and I don't really want to take the engine apart etc, screw something up and then not be able to do a wedding we've committed to.

My question is, I assume it's possible (with a bit of fuel) to have a separate engine that I can learnt how to take apart, put together etc on that can live in my shed.

If it is possible to do, is it possible to do without spending a lot? Is there anything I should be aware of?

Cheers in advance, Pete

I have a 1641cc which is only running on 2 cylinders at the moment. It may need a rebuild.
I am thinking of putting a bigger engine in so may sell it but haven't a clue what it would be worth.
I don't know if it would interest you but thought I'd let you know.
Cheers

Get yourself a bell housing off a gearbox a spare starter motor and a can of fuel and you could run it on the floor in your garage. Remember It will be loud with out an exhaust.

Cool, thanks guys.

Pieman, thanks for the offer (I have no idea either!) I have a few to look at and the guy who helps out with my bus may also have one but I'll be in touch if I need one.

Thanks again :D

I would suggest finding a none running 1600 that came from a van with the proper mounting holes in the case for the moustache bar.

You will learn a lot just by stripping it down.

Best case scenario cost wise would be:

Crank case machining
Gasket set
Main, rod, cam bearings
Crank grind
Piston rings
New valves
Assembly lube / sealer / end float shims etc

But there are likely to be other costs - oil pump, barrel and pistons, heads, etc depending on condition.

I would also buy a cheap bench mounted engine stand, a crank gear puller, and a case half splitter. Not essential but would make it a lot easier for a novice.

And buy this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rebuild-Aircooled-VW-Engines-HP255/dp/0895862255/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402167549&sr=8-1&keywords=How+to+Rebuild+Your+Volkswagen+air-Cooled+Engine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Take your time and enjoy building it up, they are real simple engines.

Any questions, send me a PM.

Cheers, Mabbo

Hi, Here's my take on this.

If your quest is to be able to look after your bus then there's a lot more to it than just the engine. Read as much as you can, textbooks & of others' experiences. Youtube has some great how to's & some idiots talking tripe.
Buying an engine to play with & learn is an expensive hobby - I could see you well on the way to £1k easily & have a nice setup that still doesn't mimic reality. If you plan to build a decent engine to one day pop into your bus then fair enough.

I would advise that you learn how to carry out all the basic servicing & adjustments required of a standard service. All are quite straightforward & common sense - once you know how. Carrying out these will only take your bus off the road for a few hours at a time. If you see anything untoward stop & seek advice.
Get to know what looks, feels, sounds & smells good will take you a long way.

Draw up a simple chart/spreadsheet & list service ops against time/milage.
Read through a Haynes manual & I think you'll be able to carry out most of what's required & most of it's nothing to do with the engine!

Having said all that - I rebuilt my engine last year & loved it. But I am an engineer.

My 10P. Others feel free to disagree.

PS We had a chat at Stanford - hope the knee is sorted.

Phil.

Latest posts