Cables to heat exchanger

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dt100

Reaction score
Hi.... working on my 1971 VW Devon, and trying to replace the cable from lever in the cab to heat exchanger due to corrosion on the bit that attaches to the heat exchanger.

.... I've undone the cable at both ends.... its been undone from front, and now just within the tube, but it won't budge. I've pushed and pulled from both the front and rear ends, but just pulling the cables sheaf apart, and the wire outside un stripping.

I've sprayed as much WD40 as I can into the tube from the rear end.... (Rear currently on stands, as engine out)... so was hoping that it would flow towards the front. However after 24hrs, still not budging, and don't know what to do next.

Unfortunately I have fully welded on belly pans otherwise I think I'd just lay another pipe.... any suggestions or advise gratefully appreciated!!.....

I had the same problem. I've cut off my bellypans, not sure how you'd deal with it otherwise... :(

I think I should really be cutting the belly pans off..... when I knock on them I can hear rust rattling, but ignorance is bliss and if I find another excuse to keep the van off the road my wife will go spare!!

I've spent too much time today on the problem.... ended up using 8mm copper pipe that comes in a 10m roll (not all of it was needed!)... and spent hours jiggling and finding a route for it through the chassis hidden by the belly pans. I'm actually quite happy with the result as made a pretty good new channel that looks neat.

I started with what should have been the correct cable but too long (no old one to measure against!).... so tried the shorter left cable in the right place and it's not too bad. Will still gave to create a creative loop behind the kick panels but I think it's going to work fine....

Thanks for advise.... I think I've been lucky.... I did cut out a section of the old tubing that wasn't underneath the belly pans and it was completely solid with dried up gunge through length. Note to myself to seal both ends of my new tube with a small amount of silicone sealant, should keep it clean inside!

Engine back in now over the weekend....

Thanks for replies

Latest posts