Camperjam weather is it worth it ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought I'd stick my photo's up......
EarlyBay camping
SAM_3476.jpg

SAM_3449.jpg

SAM_3474.jpg

SAM_3475.jpg

Mud.......
SAM_3496.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

Loved this cross over on the top field
SAM_3497.jpg

Like Clem, this one caused a lot of discussion over a few beers on Saturday night! Welding was proper though :)
SAM_3484.jpg
SAM_3483.jpg

Trying to keep up with Creationblue and Nugsy and failing.....
IMG_0439.jpg

Some ugly sisters for company on the journey home!
SAM_3500.jpg

Had a brilliant time, thanks to all I talked to for making me feel so welcome!

Check out the bloke in the blue hoody on the right of the video from the fair on Sat night, he spends more time on the floor......

arrived at about 6.30 friday sun was shining drove up muddy hill to family camp pitched up on mud free firm ground

saturday rained while we were in van having lunch and again while having tea so missed all the rain and stayed dry the mud was ace as me and the kids all had wellies i even got sun burnt :D

van got mud on wheels/tyres arches and mudflap 10min wash at morrison and a proper watch at home and were all sparkly again

all in all we really enjoyed camper jam and as it was our first camp out in the bus and we survived and enjoyed it even with the weather beening bad then anything else will be a walk in the park

228.jpg

250.jpg

216.jpg

217.jpg

262.jpg

264.jpg

227.jpg

256.jpg

We arrived Friday afternoon and it chucked it down while I got our gear up but then we seemed to miss or avoid the rain by drinking, eating and sleeping!!! Great weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. Only thing I never got to do was come and say hello to everyone at he club area which I was planning on doing. I also wanted to do a recky on traders who could rebuild my type 3 engine (any recommendations?) as they had gone Sunday.

The best bit though was watching all types of busses use all types of methods to get through the mud at the bottom of the hill in the "family HIWYPI". It was brilliant!! Beer in hand giving marks out of 10 for approach, attempts and success!!! No REar engined busses had many issues but T4/5 plus any other type were stuck on the flat ... Nil points! 10 points went to the 3 busses that pulled caravans up the, what seemed a massive hill behind the loos through the mud!!

Great weekend!!!

Great wkend :D
Parked up in club area without any major issues but you had to have a recce before hand to see which was the best way in.
Trading area was pretty rough but got round and had a look (do feel for the traders though) :(
Met a few new faces and talking bollocks most of the wkend :lol:
expecting it to be chaos sun with everyone trying to get out at the same time but it was quite civilised :shock: no ques when i left and it was lovely and sunny for a nice drive home ;)
will be back next year ;)

cheers shaun

Heres one for the ladys of the forum and you Justin i know you missed this stall :lol:

2012-07-07114001.jpg

2012-07-07104943.jpg

Que in was a bit of a ball ache :roll:

2012-07-06185323.jpg

Tried out the new canopy for the first time, really pleased :D

2012-07-07101158.jpg

Oh Thanks to Steve (Wensbury (spell?) And his mate in the Split for a lovely Karaoke Friday night :lol: :lol:

My CJ trip... Remember this is our first trip in the van and the first time we have been camping with the kids and our first VW festival.

I think one word can describe it. Nightmare.

It seemed that everyone driving Friday had their brain removed and crashed into something in front.

My weekend went as follows:

Test drove the van to a mates house thurs and covered a round trip of about 105 miles, this is the furthest I have driven it...

To celebrate decided to have a few beers Thursday night, this turned into a bit of a sess and a late night went to bed at 3am, up at 7 to get the kids ready for school. I am hungover and grumpy. This is cock up #1

Picked my lad up after school and headed up from Southampton way. On the A34 trusty tomtom advised that there was a 75 minute delay on the M6 so we were routed on the m54, fine apart from within minutes there was a 45 minute delay so ended up being sent round the houses and down every single track road.

After 4.5 hours we arrived at the site only to have to wait a further hour to get to the pitch area. Not muddy but the grass is wet. Really???? it was like a bog, or so I thought (it was quite dry were we pitched compared to the rest of the site as I would discover).

Got the bus parked up, tent out (didn’t take the awning as I didn’t fancy putting it up and packing it away in the rain – this is cock up #2)
Pitched the tent, realised we were completely un organised and had packed too much stuff.

Swore lots. Moaned lots. Tent is pitched, generator is on and heater is fired up as the girls are complaining they are cold.

Olivia my 22 month old daughter falls out of the van from the seat/bed in the back, face plants in the mud. Half her face is covered in thick gloopy mud. Teddy is dirty. Bugger.

It’s about 11.30pm by this time and we decide to cut our losses and go to bed.

I put the bed down, I can’t. I fitted seat belts in the back the weekend before and didn’t think to check that they cleared the bed. Cue more silent swearing and I am not getting any less grumpier. I want to cut my loses and go home. This is cock up #3.

I removed the belts and get the bed down, when fitting the belts I had to remove the bed to get to the bolts, as above I hadn’t check the bed and unfortunately one of the supports was mis-aligned so wouldn’t support any weight. That’ll be Olivia’s side of the bed. This is cock up #4

Go to bed, wake up in the morning. Laughing thinking things can’t get any worse. This line of thinking turns out to be cock up #5 ( I will get to it)

Have a fun day Saturday apart from Olivia is now feeling poorly and has a temperature, we have actually remember to bring calpol – hoorah!!!

Due to the mud we can’t all wonder round the trade area so Claire and the kids head back to the van. Buy a new bed and a few bits for the van (thanks Sparky for the heads up on the canopy  ) wander back to the van and have a couple of drinks and have a bit of a snooze.

Saturday night comes, we have food and a few drinks, Sam and I brave the mud again so he can ride the quad bikes and go to the fair and get food for everyone. Got to listen to one of the bands playing out the side of a splitty which was really cool. Finally we decide to call it a day and get our heads down. It’s around 11pm by now, I am in the tent and I hear Claire calling my name, there is distress in her voice.

You know we woke up Saturday thinking things couldn’t get worse? Well I open up the sliding door and Olivia has been sick everywhere, all over herself, all over the bed...

Bed stripped, Olivia stripped, cleaned and changed, bedding binned along with Olivia’s jimmy Jams. We go to bed.

Wake Sunday morning. We all have had a decent night’s sleep, Olivia is still poorly but a lot better, even mum’s in good spirits.

Managed to get packed up and away without too much issue, say cheerio to a few people.

Saturday night I had charged iPads, iPhones and had the fridge running... All off the van’s 12v supply. My logic is the fridge has a low voltage system so I think so long as the fridge is running the battery is healthy. This was cock up #6  I go to start the van, it fires up straight away and then dies. Battery is dead. Thankfully Nugsy has a power pack with him and gives me some juice to start the bus (thanks matey!!!!!)

But we left thinking what we need to do next time, Sam didn’t want to go home, Claire was talking about the next one on the IOW. Despite the cock ups and piss poor planning by famile blonde we all had a great time.

Met some of you guys, I had meant to be more sociable Saturday afternoon but I was waiting for someone to collect some trim and then I ended up having a snooze, then the heavens opened, excuses, excuses, excuses...

I will book again for next year, but it it’s raining I won’t make the trip as I think Weston should have reconsidered holding the event. They were not set up to cope with the mud etc. Not to mention the power issues Saturday morning for the traders. The gennies for the food/coffee traders were a little troublesome for a period...

James, things wont get any better in a split ;)

Joking aside you cant plan for ill kids, trust me we know :lol: better luck next time, and good luck with the new bed, Awning looked the biz!

Just

Chris73 said:
Thought I'd stick my photo's up......
EarlyBay camping
SAM_3476.jpg

!quote]

We were the motley crew camped infront of you..!! :D

My bus is still not ready so i came disguised in my T-Fivecus...!!! :msn4: :lol: :msn4:

DSCN3977.jpg

Firstly sorry we could not get you guys onto display we had limited space and it was quagmire potential at lower end...
but I suspect that many of you simply could not get your buses off anyway or did not fancy trying it (I did not move mine down to use as HQ not sure I'd get back onto my area)
Though WP do call the shots there was never to my knowledge any tactics like penalties to cancel especially as run up during week was not bad at all and thurs they were marking areas wearing T shirts..what none of us knew was that a months rain would fall in 12 hours...and loking at what some of Uk had we got off light!
so much has been cancelled this year..sounds easy option but it aint....we knew that if we could get people on site we'd be able to carry on with something..then it rained all blimmin friday long and ..well you know the rest!
better option is for us to really look carefully at what contingency plans need to be drawn up and things ready to call in in wings - and then put in place (glad thats not my job phew!)
PS Graham..the Robert Johnson early bay trophy winner is chosen by my family (but just me this time) in memory of son in law
PPS any of you who have been hardcore veteran EB displayers....I have a few plaques if you want to keep your collection intact!

David Eccles said:
so much has been cancelled this year..sounds easy option but it aint....

David, I think you did the right thing. Think it was the harder decision to not cancel it as it then put the whole show in the firing line when things didn't go to plan. I understand the traders frustration but all the show goers I spoke to had a great time, and all will be back next year. It was also lovely on the Sunday sitting in he sunshine, knowing we'd have no trouble getting out cos everyone else had gone early..... :D

This was my first camper show with my campervan! I really didn't know what to expect but I have to say even with all the mud I had a great time. It was also the first time my mate has ever entered a show and shine and he won a couple of awards with his splitty to top the weekend off.

Latest posts