Doesn't want to idle?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinga

Reaction score
Hi all. Bus usually runs great, and unless spot on, but every so often I get the same issue.
Runs fine, but just doesn't want to idle.
I haven't been using the bus for a while, could it be stake fuel?
Changed plugs.
Can't hear or find any air leaks.
Got a pertronix module in the dizzy.
1700 type 4 engine on oem carbs.
Thx.

Forgot to mention.. also recently noticed a little pool of oil under the engine, by the rocker cover. The bus has never leaked oil before.
Not sure if it's connected, or just coincidental?
Cheers.

How old is the electronic ignition? Is the coil old? Plus how old are the HT leads any of those could be breaking down. The leak could be incidental.

The oil leak could be nothing to worry about, maybe just needs new rocker-cover gaskets. My bus never leaks until I remove the drain plug and re-use the crush washer, then it drips slightly, which is really annoying.

The electronic ignition is at least 5 years old, as that's how long I've owned the bus.. could be a lot older than that.
Ignition leads & coil probably about 3 years old.. may be worth trying a different coil?

Take them off the engine strip them down and blow all the jets \ orifices out with compressed air...

Depends on what you got, have a look at the rebuild kits from Eurocarb and you won’t go far wrong. If it does turn out to be just crud then while you’re in there fannying about, it might be worth a fuel filter too. Most peeps say to put it over the gearbox away from all the warm bits in the noisey cupboard, a few others say that’s the way to get it neglected as in out of sight and out of mind. If it’s in the noisey cupboard then it’s plainly visible and you might change it every year and just make it a service item. I know mines over the gearbox and seriously neglected :msn4: maybe it’s time for me to change that while I got the noisy cupboard empty :roll: Always so much to do. If you use the rebuild kit with a new needle and seat etc then maybe keep the old stuff in a plastic bag for emergencies.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I do the same with my fan belt, then you know it’ll fit and work :mrgreen:

Could be the consequence of ethanol now added to petrol. Last time I had a idle issue I had some strange stretchy elastic strands in the bypass route in the carb. It's a easy job to strip and clean with some carb cleaner (now a regular carry item with my tool kit), and a job we may find ourselves becoming quite expert at

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Tried changing the coil.. no difference.. tried pouring loads of redex down the carbs.. no difference. The fuel has been in for a good few months.. could it be stale?
The big screw on top of the left carb is screwed all the way down so no more adjustment there.
Gonna try giving it a good long run at the weekend & put some fresh fuel in it, see if that helps.
Very frustrating.

Checked the fuel filter.. looks completely clean.
Also checked the timing & got that spot on.
Still got quite a bit of fuel in it, so will take a trip out in it at the weekend, try to run as much of the fuel as u can, then top it up with super unleaded.
Also ran quite a bit of redex directly through the carbs & Also put it in the tank.
Hoping it's just stale fuel?

Ok think I've sussed it now.
Took both carbs off & the throttle flap was completely closed. Adjusted the screw to get a 0.1mm gap, and put back together.
Now the big idle speed screw on the top of the left carb does actually control the idle speed, and it now idles fine when warm... however..
Now it won't idle for the first couple of minutes after you start from cold!
Any ideas?
Thx.

Might be mixture weak from start up carb (always was a strange setup 2 carbs and a startup/idle carb) , try adjusting mixture screw on that and see what happens.

Latest posts