Carson - My new 68 project..

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark6455 said:
Looks nice and clean Mark unlike your mind :shock:

Lol, you don't want to go into the realms of my mind :eek:

aogrady said:
Loving the grey and black on this, very smart, I realy like the shiny colours, better than satin black IMHO

Nice work,

Cheers,

Alistair

I have to be honest and say I got lucky there, they started off satin black but because I had it in the gun I decided to 2 pack lacquer them for a little more durability 8)

Cheers guys ,

I think I'm going a tad photo overload so I promise this is the last one for a while (back on shifts now anyway)

Alternator and fan assembly etc all buttoned up, just the dizzy and carb to sort out now. Then it's add oil and fuel and see what damage it will do :cool:

Last one for a while I promise.

848C6CD5-C81F-45BD-9006-9468AE3A22A4_zpshsoppdwq.jpg

Red urethane rubbers spoil it a little but I can live with that.

Hopefully... Thankfully.. :lol: this should be the last of the engine photos 8)

I promise :lol:

So ive been getting everything ready to bench test the engine, with all the wiring going in and a keyswitch etc I made up a while ago.

Cranked it over a few times without even having the carb etc fitted just to see if I had any oil pressure... nope, not a sausage :cry:

I changed the oil switch for a brand new one but knew things werent right when I pulled it out and there was no oil present. So the only thing for it was to pull the pulley off and take the pump back out, I cant remember the brand but it WAS a high flow pump which as it turned out wasnt a pump at all and after me taking my frustrations out on it never will be again :lol:

So I put a trusty old pump back in (After checking the specs were all within tollerance) and once bled up now the light goes straight out and stays out for a good while once the ignition is turned off again.

So everythings set, fingers crossed..

Cranked and cranked and still nothing, in my haste id put the fuel lines on the pump back to front :oops: :roll:

Try again and she's alive!

Not sure if this will work or not :?:

Still needs a fine tune but i cant find my timing light anywhere, so that will have to wait for now.

Happy to say the alternator seems to be charging too, so thats turned out to be an eBay bargain :D

So my dads coming over in the morning to help me get the van moved around, from memory theres still bits to paint in the bay but not long now.

Its so nice to hear an aircooled motor running in my garage for the first time ever, well one that i own anyway!

Good job Mark you sure know your stuff at this rate you'll have in over the weekend

Mark

Great news that you managed to get there in the end :D

Pleased for you and well done 8)

Been a busy couple of days,

I was intending on just fitting the engine but when I unwrapped the van the engine bay was a lot worse than I remembered.

7951B0FB-1194-46D2-AC3E-517B57403096_zpsbs7th4qe.jpg

A1EC8DD4-31F0-4C58-88B3-66E01C75C90D_zpsczyzdmsh.jpg

F5437CFF-5841-449D-993C-10D15D2A4778_zpsmd3qenwd.jpg

So after a lot of degreasing, sanding, priming, seam sealing....

685DC46B-B215-4BCC-8959-4206B991B22D_zpshzuyimfa.jpg

Went a little ott with the seam sealer but you'll never see it.

F01094ED-C18D-462E-BD56-5C5C39FEFFF4_zpsujsu7t0c.jpg

Then a coating of stone chip, just for a little bit more protection.

5E650D21-6489-48DC-B45A-BFAC89805B42_zpsunkr0ael.jpg

892BDDB6-E147-41CF-B78D-27AFEDF690A7_zpsx7fjjvpk.jpg

Then painted, lacquered and a little waxoyl (doesn't look the best but I intend yo use this van so it's there to do a job)

2D5EFD62-AFD7-46E2-AC19-0A7F07C8BF14_zpsj50qdofm.jpg

9D2FC9B9-FDD2-4238-AE34-4FCAAB7E6A39_zpshpd7i0c9.jpg

Tanks in and all buttoned up, so hopefully engine seals, battery and wiring tomorrow. Back at work Friday so sadly I think the engine install will have to wait until next week.

Resto-raider said:
That looks like a lot of work. Does look really nice now.
I bet you can't wait to put that engine back in to get it running again.

Again... :shock:

Since it came to me with no engine (although it should of done :x ),

Can't wait is an understatement! :lol: 8)

Alex VW Heritage said:
Just read this thread from start to finish, great attention to detail and work. Going to go off and read about your 71 now :D

Thanks Alex, if I can get it as good looking as yours I'll be happy 8)

Well you'll be glad to know not too many photos today

Engine really should be in by now but I've discovered play in the gear selector 'hockey stick' so I'm waiting now for yet more parts to arrive. All the other shifter bushes are brand new so it seemed stupid to skip this.

I've been plodding along today doing some final adjustments/installations to the engine.

Getting the wiring in the engine bay tidied up and sorted out, it's having new main pos & neg cables, new gearbox neg cable, I've also ran an extra 4 core cable for the uk indicators and some extra gauges I have planned.

Also been playing with my rear lights, I forgot the before photos but these were in a bad state with rust and all the old chrome peeling off.

Bulb holders also needed repairs, broken terminal connector and snapped holding pins for the bulb holder meaning they didn't sit in the housing firmly.

The solution was to repair the terminal was to solder another terminal to the end to extend it.

The solution to hold the bulb holder firm was to solder the earth connectors to the body, only thing I could do really and it seems strong enough.

Anyway I shot blasted the cases and gave them some bright silver paint,

It wasn't really 'bright' enough for me so decided to experiment a little.

Not sure if this is a bin or win idea but it certainly appears to work, I had my doubts because it's impossible to lay in without creasing it and I thought this would affect the light refraction.

So in went some tin foil,

And the results, hard to photo but it's certainly blinding without the covers on.

Tin foils on the right,

Brake lights, tin foils on the left.

The tin foil has seemed to have done the trick from what the pictures are showing - result 8)

gninnam said:
The tin foil has seemed to have done the trick from what the pictures are showing - result 8)

Defo, I knew it had to improve things and it's impossible to photo but the difference is amazing without the covers on you can't even look at the foiled one. The other option I guess is to have them rechromed (expensive) or maybe chrome paint but not sure how this would deal with the constant heat.

I'm going to continue the foil right around the inside of the housing, job done :)

Definitely better than fitting poor quality reproductions though!

Been a nice clear day today got the gearbox stripped and new bushes repaired.

28461F8E-D45E-454D-BAF9-5F735DE56703_zps48w2esmo.jpg

Somebody's had their money's worth out of this, new ones on the right btw :lol:

332EDAC8-422E-43E5-B693-7D8BF2FA596E_zpsmj63bwrv.jpg

Than the plan was to get this lot installed,

03122A30-D16B-49AE-97B7-7B3649628E81_zpsnegiiaig.jpg

DF0F6172-7BCA-4436-B37F-B7F4C21F0418_zps5yicegw7.jpg

Few issues with bolts but everything went in pretty straight forward, only problem I've had is the mondo exhaust doesn't clear the moustache bar so something's going to be getting cut up :evil:

AF895A11-940A-4CE7-8F62-8B79DB5A94CE_zpsdoy3nyq8.jpg

Rear valance is actually off my other van and needs a lot of attention maybe even need to source a replacement

AE0A8E36-DB10-4A5F-BA3B-F2948CAB47B0_zpsf2bgrfbq.jpg

New wiring harness made for the engine,

3FEEAF0F-141E-4020-8F02-EFFC2BBE8041_zpsoi4lkf55.jpg

All the loom for the rear lights checked and new sheaving and connectors applied, rear lights re-installed

Also I've been pricing bits and can't believe the price of these earth straps, if anyone needs any I can make them to order :D

315E1E10-CC2F-4CEE-9957-9AF495FBF609_zpsisru4xmy.jpg

Nice work - loads of progress.

I changed the ball in the nose cone of my gear box, not sure how much difference it has made because i haven only driven it 100m up the road and back. But it was worn like yours so hopefully will make a big difference :D First time i had done it so nice to see how the selector worked when you move the gear shift :) or maybe that's just me :msn4:

woz said:
Nice work - loads of progress.

I changed the ball in the nose cone of my gear box, not sure how much difference it has made because i haven only driven it 100m up the road and back. But it was worn like yours so hopefully will make a big difference :D First time i had done it so nice to see how the selector worked when you move the gear shift :) or maybe that's just me :msn4:

I know what you mean, cause it hasn't taken as much play out as I thought it would and it's still difficult to put in and out of gear but I know with the shit rod it should be easier.

All the shifter bushes are now brand new so hopefully it'll be like new, stirring a bowl of cement instead of a bowl of porridge 8)

Latest posts