Case savers?? Helicoiling??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benyon

Reaction score
What are case savers and what is helicoiling??

Two of the six studs for my sump plate came out with the nuts last time I changed the oil. When screwing them back in they didn't seem to tighten so I stopped turning them, I think they were just chewing their threads :oops: I have run with them in with and the other 4 nuts all securing the sump plate and I have no leaks but I am aware that if the threads are chewed I'm not going to get a good seal next time I change the oil.

What are my options? Am I in the right ballpark with case savers/helicoiling? Or is there another answer?

Similar aproach, helicoil is like a wire spring with a section like a thread, mainly used for repairing stripped threads, old hole is tapped out to a slighly larger size with a special size tap helicoil it then wound in, hey presto new thread.

A case saver is different in that it is more like a steel threaded plug, that needs the old hole to be drilled out large by about 5 to 8mm, the tread on the edge of the case saver is usual a much coarser thread. The idea is the coarser thread spread the force in to the case better that just bolting directly into the soft magnesium or aluminum. case savers are mainly used for cylinder head stud with are notorious for pulling from the case.

Heritage sell special oversize studs for sump plate. M5 (stock) one end and M8 the other end. Massively useful, but you'll need a tap and die set - machine mart do a good basic set.

Ah yes, what you did to your welders tip?! That would be kind sir...

How's your body work coming on - not seen an update to your thread recently?

Thems the ones!

.. I've done a bit on the bus ..

Got the drivers side sorted at the front .. just sorting the other side ..!

Call in when you get time mate .. I'll sort yer them taps ..

Hilly

Latest posts