Centre belly pan

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRAD

Reaction score
I just ordered a JK centre belly pan, it says weld, but I have no intention of welding it in place as been there and it's a long term head ache.
I want to weld captive nuts and bolt it up, has anyone done this and is the JK one any good?

Out of interest why are you fitting one ?

I had one, but was welded on with the sides, it did actually make it quieter and stopped road crap from getting on underside.
I had to cut it back out to fit my remote servo and insulate centre heat pipe, so now I want to replace it, but intend to have it bolt on with captive nuts.
Not sure about the quality of the JK one or exactly how to get it done well first time.

i presume you mean the front centre pan, mine has the nuts welded to the chassis and holes in the pan edge seems ok

I think you guys are talking about 2 different things, the front pan with bolts holes in the chassis is the one that covers the gearshift etc.

The centre belly pan spans the chassis rails and hides the central heater tube, the only vehicles that had these fitted from the factory were sunroof deluxe and twin sliders to add extra rigidity to the chassis. Westies never had the central belly pan fitted.

I bought a centre section from C&C (well over a year ago I think) but I suspect they might be made by the same people. I chose to weld it on but bolt on the two side pans mainly because I understand the pans were fitted for strengthening when the roof was cut out for pop tops.
The bus survived 40 odd years in the UK with belly pans so I wanted them to go back on. With the side pans removable I'm sure you can get good access to the centre section with a cavity wax gun.
I fully painted all the underside and the whole belly pans and then ground down the paint where I was going to weld, there are pictures on my thread:
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23320&start=60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The centre pan was a bad fit, I think it was too wide at the back of the bus where it starts to spread out towards the rear torsion tube. C&C were helpful and I went through a few conversations with them on the fitting and measurements, they changed it for me but it was identical. Eventually I just accepted it was a bad fit and had to cut and re-weld the rear flanges to match my chassis. My bus is a UK '72 if that makes any difference.
For the side pans I used rivnuts and s/steel bolts, putting rivnuts into the chassis and the sills. After all the epoxy painting and stonechip I had the underside cavity waxed (with the side pan's removed) and then undersealed.

Weirdly just noticed you are in the same neck of the woods as me, I'm in Horley. If you want to take a look at mine you are welcome.

Mags

Latest posts