Changing CV Boots

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaunb

Reaction score
Is it true that a split CV boot is an MOT failure?
I am thinking of changing this myself rather than take it to a garage as this was one of the reasons I bought a bay.... to work on it myself , so is this a straightforward job or an absolute pain in the ass?

Brilliant forum by the way

Cheers
Shaun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its pretty straight forward although messy. CV gaiter kits come with gaiters, bolts and Grease. But buy good quality ones or your'll be changing them in a year.

Your'll need, c-clip pliers, crimps for the clips and 6mm allen key i think.

Its a messy job so wear gloves and dont wear your party shirt!!!

As above - it's a messy PITA, but not too difficult. I found re-assembling the CV took quite a while after I'd cleaned it. :)

I found installing the ball bearings one at a time easiest but make sure you get the orientation of the inner case that holds the bearings the correct way to the outer casing or you CV joint wont function properly

I'm no mechanic but did it with the help of this - his T25 is the same as a T2 in this respect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meTNBph3rUU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers for the advice, going to tackle it myself.

So which gaiter-boots are best. Ive seen OG ones on VW hertitage £30 but do not come with bolts,grease and clips. The others on VW Hertiage and JK are £12.50 and come with bolts and all. Are these good enough, have they lasted. I only have 1 split boot but thinking i may aswell change all 4.

Shaun

Latest posts