Changing windscreen seal advice

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fruscendrix

Reaction score
I need to replace the seals on both my front doors and the windscreen. Having never done this but reading around i think the doors are easy enough to do myself but i dont really fancy myself at taking the windscreen out. Is it tricky to do and do well? If so, anybody know anyone around the Notts area who could? My usual garage says he doesnt normally do this :roll:

Also, the seal on the front windscreen only has a slight leak but too much to ignore, but the seal looks fine (to my untrained eye). I cant see any rust around the seal, is it possible for the seal to look fine but still leak?

Cheers
Rob

Fruscendrix said:
I need to replace the seals on both my front doors and the windscreen. Having never done this but reading around i think the doors are easy enough to do myself but i dont really fancy myself at taking the windscreen out. Is it tricky to do and do well? If so, anybody know anyone around the Notts area who could? My usual garage says he doesnt normally do this :roll:

Also, the seal on the front windscreen only has a slight leak but too much to ignore, but the seal looks fine (to my untrained eye). I cant see any rust around the seal, is it possible for the seal to look fine but still leak?

Cheers
Rob
if its leaking, then its starting to perish and time to change !, if you ignore it eventually you will get rust behind seal and leave it too long and it will rust out the sealing lip completly.
buy a german quality seal .. then cut the rubber of old screen seal on outside of bus and then when you have cut all the way around window, push from the top of screen and then lift it out.
get your wife/ friend/ neighbour to stand in front of windscreen to stop you pushing it out on floor..
fitting:
i purchased a window rubber fitting tool for £10 on ebay...well worth it.. i then placed old screen on table with a towel between screen and table to stop scratches... then spray a soapy solution all over edge of screen and push your new rubber seal onto your screen.. then fit a thin nilon line (fitting tool has this) in to the rubber recess just in from inner edge of seal.. start in centre of screen and work all the way around until your back at start position..
then get some hand soap and rub it neat all over the inner edge of seal and again on lip of your camper all the way around where the rubber goes...
now climb inside camper and get friend to pick screen up, place it into recess of bus, bottom edge first and insure the nylon line is inside the van.... then get your friend, to push gently where the line is as you pull the line towards yourself you will see the rubber lift over the metal edge of the bus.. work your way around the window methodicaly,... dont rush it..
you should now have your screen in and be sitting in your bus pleased with yourself of the job you,ve done...
as for door rubbers, just pull off old ones, purchase some good quality Heat resident spray adhesive... clean off old rubber from around doors ,... spray your glue where the rubber goes and then press in your new door rubber into position... job done..
IF YOU LIVED NEAR ME I WOULD FIT YOUR SCREEN FOR YOU FOR A COUPLE OF BEERS !!!!

Have a look at this instructional video. The procedure is basically the same for a bus minus the chrome trim, and you can cut it from the outside. Do it NOW before rust starts and you need to weld in patches ... like I'm doing now :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq_0Qbhjfa8&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts