Cker5's '70 Bay Westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cker5

Reaction score
What up earlybay! Greetings from the across the pond.
I wanted to share some picts of my project, it has been a long time in the works. I've been working on her since early 2001, (Not constantly though). I took a job in another state in 2003 and just found a place to store and bring the ole girl back up to do the finishing mechanical bits this August.

I purchased her from the original owner who, bought it new in Amsterdam in 1970. Dude kept it his whole life and sold it to me when he could not care for the rust issues. Doglegs, inner/outer rockers, cab floor, ass curves by the lights, jack points ect.. I consider her a cancer survivor. I marinated on how to paint her for a long time and ended up with this scheme, my mates call it "Urban Camo."

I've been getting her roadworthy:
Rebuilt fuel pump
New fuel lines
timing/points/wires/condenser
New coil
Adjusted the valves
New master cylinder
New wheel cylinders and shoes all around
New brake rubber and rear metal lines
Swing Lever replacement.
new accelerator cable
Finnaly figured out how to install the rivets on the vent wing windows, easy stuff

Shocks and CV boots are next!

Enjoy! Tell me what you think!

DSCN1803.jpg

DSCN1820.jpg

DSCN1818.jpg

DSCN1813.jpg

DSCN1814.jpg

DSCN1809.jpg

1970 Westy
stock 1600 singleport
*2302224454*
B5179949

Peace,
MW

Hello and welcome 8) great details on the van 8)

Araon said:
cool fella, always nice to see something a little different....any further plans?

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm debating on lowering it, it would be nice to see the BRMs tucked in a little. Possibly discs up front, but I do like to tinker with the drums, I'm really into the vintage setup if the mechanicals.

I've replaced the stinger for an Empi dual tip muffler, I also recently installed the engine seal what a difference!

I need to find a new fiberglass roof, I have a bow from when the PO strapped his Kayak up there

I scored some nice industrial rubber flooring with a similar color and pattern to the stock westy marlonium.

I'll add more picts as things progress!

Awesome dude, reminds me of something the A-Team might knock up after being locked in a barn :lol:

Thats a cool van, and somehow the ride height works with that paint scheme and those wheels.
Leave it as it is, I like it :mrgreen:

I have to agree the ride height is looking 8)

liking the stinger out the back, i was thinking of doing the same but could just imagine some tit driving straight up the back of it....

I just wanted to say thanks for all the positive thoughts, I appreciate it very much and thanks for looking :D !
I'll post more photo's as time goes by this winter. I have a lot of projects on my list and just moved into the heated side of my storage space for the winter. Damn, it's going to be a chilly one this year!

Next up:

front beam
ball joints
shocks all around
tierods
marlonium flooring install
painting the bumpers, side trim including the gas door and front grill
locating a correct 1600 bus breast plate with the 3 holes
new westy fiberglass elevating roof section

Found some picts of my bus a few weeks into the repairs. Sorry it's a small collage, they were from the 35mm days...

BusPicts2.jpg

The interior is almost ready.

Painted the new birch
Painted old birch celing
Glued and installed marlonium floor.
Packed R13 and NASA space duct stuff under floor and side wall. Installed moisture barrier sheet.

Dosen't seem like a lot for a job that took 13 hrs!

more to com soon... 8)

Mental note: attach the table hold bracket before installing the panel, floor and jumpseat :roll:

DSCN2003.jpg

DSCN2004.jpg

DSCN2005.jpg

DSCN2006.jpg

DSCN2008.jpg

DSCN2009.jpg

DSCN2011.jpg

DSCN2012.jpg

DSCN2014.jpg

DSCN2015.jpg

aogrady said:
Hi!

Thats looking really good! Can i ask where you got the floor from? It looks exactly the same as the original westy floor?

Alistair

The OG style Westy flooring is a tough item to track down.

Thanks for noticing, this is what I know form my adventure.

The commercial rubber flooring industry is putting out some products that come damn close. Only trouble is, the amount you need VS purchasing a 39' roll of product. Some places charge a cut fee to cut the roll for smaller amounts, others make you buy the whole roll.

My material is made by Armstrong but I don't know the details of it because I aquired it from an inlaw who installs this stuff for a living and he tossed it over to me.

Think commercial flooring, the residential stuff does not have the patterns and textures one needs for the Westy.

Some links to start:

http://www.armstrong.com/home/us/en/commercial.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.norarubber.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck!
MW

Some more photos of the progress on the interior and after two more 12 hour sessions this week. The paint on the ceiling came out good, it's nice to have the interior looking snug. I am stoked about how the floor came out almost looking OG :wink: The trim on the sunroof opening was a total pain, I ended up screwing it in, it makes a nice transition to the upstairs cot area. Not pictured are the rear hatch and sliding door panels also dressed in white. Updated a couple picts of the engine compartment after a good degrease and tuneup, I figured out what the clip by the coil was for, the backup lights fuse!

I can't wait to take it out for a spin 8)

DSCN2036.jpg

DSCN2035.jpg

DSCN2041.jpg

DSCN2052.jpg

DSCN2040.jpg

DSCN2045.jpg

DSCN2034.jpg

DSCN2033.jpg

Hi!

Thats coming alone really well, i love the paintwork, and the interior is really fine, the floor came out well!!
Did you just paint the wood work with regular paint?

Very well done!

Alistair

Thanks Alistair, yeah i used rustoleum brand painter's touch in semi-gloss over the OG wood. The OG wood was ratty looking and stained and I made a bad choice with my first attempt so I decided to just paint it. I recently re-visited the movie, The Karate Kid and used a brush technique from Mr. Miyagi when Daniel painted his house. VW ownership is a lot like training for a tournament!

aogrady said:
Hi!

Thats coming alone really well, i love the paintwork, and the interior is really fine, the floor came out well!!
Did you just paint the wood work with regular paint?

Very well done!

Alistair

kalean(clean) bus dude..You may have to take a trip CA..good finds in junkyards for fiberglass roofs.. junkyards like Pick-n-pull,U-pull-it,Pull-n-save,are there any of these types of junkyards in your area............Rasta>>>>>>>>>>>>

Latest posts