Correct tyre rating.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doz

Reaction score
What load rating is correct for our buses. Going from memory cars are (genially) 91 with mpv's being 94. Commercials tend to be 102. Can I use 94's on my bus legally? or do I need to stick with 102's

I was looking at this lately as gone the lowered route and know what a minefield it is.

Official Maximum Axle load rating is
Front: 1010kg
Rear: 1270kg

This gives a load index of 85 (515kg) front and 93 (650kg) rear, taken per tyre.

But then it says unladen weight is 60% of gross, so at these calculations gives
Front: 606kg
Rear: 762kg

This gives a load index of 67 (307kg) front and 75 (387kg) rear taken per tyre.

I know you are never going to be at unladen or maximum axle weight, so my thinking is as long as your at the higher end it should still be safe (but not sure in teh eyes of the law)

Don't worry it's got me confused to. That's pretty cool actually means I can try for 185/70 or even 60 with enough give in the load rating

Nugsy said:
I was looking at this lately as gone the lowered route and know what a minefield it is.

Official Maximum Axle load rating is
Front: 1010kg
Rear: 1270kg

This gives a load index of 85 (515kg) front and 93 (650kg) rear, taken per tyre.

But then it says unladen weight is 60% of gross, so at these calculations gives
Front: 606kg
Rear: 762kg

This gives a load index of 67 (307kg) front and 75 (387kg) rear taken per tyre.

I know you are never going to be at unladen or maximum axle weight, so my thinking is as long as your at the higher end it should still be safe (but not sure in teh eyes of the law)

Nice to see a sensible answer for a change.

Many people get rather paranoid about this and forget the original ratings were the manufacturer playing safe knowing that, despite their max load being one ton, commercially used vehicles often ran a bit over weight and got bounced up and down kerbs etc. They led a hard life. Camper vans and our toys of today would not normally run at max load or even half that.

Latest posts