Could my heat exchanger be buggered

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raveboy

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Ex Microbus
Ok so I took the bus out today to try and get some foam for the rock and roll bed and drove to the shop
about 20 minutes away. The heat started coming through pretty well out of the windscreen vents along with
the usual oily smell. However I swear I could detect some exhaust overtones as well which is worrying - Couple
this with then feeling weird all afternoon i.e slightly dizzy and lethargic :shock: , I'm wondering if I've been gassed out with carbon monoxide. :party0009:

So is there any way of checking the heat exchangers to see if they are shagged without taking them off ? I think they could be original.
We're due to go to Volksworld the week after next so I'm loath to start taking engine parts off.

All advise welcome peeps

Good call Ron,

Just ordered one - I'll try that. Just noticed as well that my rocker covers are leaking a bit and
dripping oil onto the heat exchangers so maybe the hot smell from that is coming through as well.
Just ordered some bolt on ones and new gaskets

Man VW's are expensive to keep !!!!! :anim_39:

Think you've answered your own question dude,with the smell of exhaust & dizzy tired feeling. don't take any chances with monoxide matey!

I think the above IS the test for failed heat exchangers.However....I'd check the engine lid seal as exhaust fumes could be drawn in through the engine lid if it isn't sealed.the exhaust fumes would come through the fan housing and blown into the bus,imitating the symptoms of shot HE's.worth a butchers at the seal dude.

I had this on my old bug. When I picked it up there was exhaust fumessmell in the car. PO has welded the heat exchangers up on the outside but ignored the fact that the insides were holed.

Thanks for all your answers dudes :party0047: I'll look into all of them over the weekend.
Must say I didn't think of the engine lid seal - Might order another one tonight. I'll let
you know how I get on. :mrgreen:

Well after examining and tinkering for a long time I have concluded that I have an oil leak in the cooler and the the subsequent oil coming out is heating up and causing a stink - I also discovered that the nearside front cylinder exhaust tube was not actually bolted to the engine !!!!!!!!!!! :shock: No idea how that came about so I bolted it back up and hopefully it won't be leaking any fumes near the heat exchangers. I have concluded that as I have to take outt he engine to do the oil cooler
I might as well change out the exchangers and all other sundry bolt on parts as well that seem to have fallen into disrepair.
Onwards !!!!!!!!!!! :sad2:

Latest posts