Cover up

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reborn bay man

Reaction score
Morning

Storms have trashed garage roof so looking for a cover whilst repairs are done.
Any ideas who makes the best one, must be fully waterproof and breathable.

Cheers

Ian

I purchased a protec cover while i was lowering and refitting a garage door, i also have a jk plastic bag that holds the water in and sticks to the van, and i am a fan and do support jk but there cover did not work for me. so buy a good one first time rather than buy two!!

I got a JK cover with the bus, hadn't used it until the recent storms as the bus is in a car port, but did use it over the last few weeks as rain was mostly coming in horizontally.

After reading MisterListerSir's post I had a look inside expecting to find a sticky sodden mess, but the bus was as snug as a bug in a rug.

There may well be different types of JK covers, but mine did the job well, and was well tested over the last couple of weeks

It has zipper access on both sides so good for left hand buses too, and can be opened to only access doors or slider or both.

20140106_110312.jpg
[/url]

Ive got a Hamilton Stormforce - Made of something called Moltex ? - Waterproof, Breathable and has stayed on despite all the storms , not cheap but as my bus wouldnt fit in ma garage it was the next best thing

I bought a maypole one off eBay, fits a treat and survived the last month of storms and was £80 posted, very happy with it.

coopster said:
Ive got a Hamilton Stormforce - Made of something called Moltex ? - Waterproof, Breathable and has stayed on despite all the storms , not cheap but as my bus wouldnt fit in ma garage it was the next best thing

Hamilton one for me too - 3rd winter no probs - recomended

i also bought the £80.00 one off ebay after my hamilton one ripped in half in the winds and can honestly say its just as good as a hamilton but for a much nicer price!

Protech or auto pajarma... I have had both and they are really good well worth paying the extra money for a quality product.

I got a Hamilton recently and have to say i am underwhelmed: again its the moltex one as above but im finding condensation on the underside and even some rain getting through despite the claims that its fully waterproof. Its also too big and is therefore baggy around the back and touches the ground on both sides, my bus is lowered but has a pop-top. I wouldnt buy another, especially for £225. :(

Apologies for the thread resurrection...

My Dormobile comes out of the body shop in the next couple weeks and will have to live outside for at least this winter. So far only the lower half (up to the usual paint line when done in 2 colours) has been resprayed as I'll not do the top half until I've restored the pop roof and a sorted some 'issues' around the windows.

I've been debating a cover but keep hearing that there is a significant danger that it will actually damage the paint work by rubbing against it, however soft it is, due to particles gradually becoming trapped in there and gently scouring away at my fresh new paint..

My other van is a T25 and over on 8090 they seem pretty adamant that a good coat of wax is far better than a cover...

...any thoughts / experience?

Thanks!

My other van is a T25 and over on 8090 they seem pretty adamant that a good coat of wax is far better than a cover...

...any thoughts / experience?

Thanks!

Thing is with a T25 , the seals are probably better , Where as personally my van leaks , and im not concerned about the paint ! so my cover needs to keep water out and it doesnt m JK one , Shite !!

I have heard Stormforce covers are good and i might get one of those

We used protech for 3 years and it appeared to do a great job until the paint started to microblister last year. It appears that even though the cover is breathable, due to the prolonged wet weather paint damage is being caused. Advice given by a couple of painters is that your better off using a good polish twice a year and leaving it uncovered as the van will dry out quicker than if it's got a wet cover on it. Touch wood advice seems to be working

72baywesty, we also have a cover on ours and after 3.5 years, it has started to wear and I have often wondered if no cover is better than covering it up. I am now at the point of having to buy a new cover and at near on £500 every 3.5 years, it does make you wonder.

I have opted for cover off and a coat of wax instead this winter as after only a few weeks with maypole cover on, it started to microbblister! Once there soaked there not breathable and the van sweats up under it, be careful

Just gotta make sure your water tight! I've put all new seals in the bus And still there was a small puddle in side by the tail gate some how!

Waxed mine, then put a NLA cover on. Not looked under it yet, xmas day van out for a spin day will be when I see how it's gone..... Have to say the cover seems to be standing up to what has been thrown at it.