Creaking Rear End !

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chico

Reaction score
Hi All

I have a metallic creak coming from the rear beam , seems to be (in) behind the rear spring plate cover OSR,happens after bumps and randomly , shocks seems ok and shock bushes , when lying underneath i got a friend to rock the van side to side and pretty sure the creak is coming from that point .
Friend has suggested its probably the spring plate bush ? , does this sound about right ? should i replace both sides ? is there a special lube :shock: that should be used ? How desperate is it ? is it likely to do damage if I'm driving it , can i leave it till after VolksWorld ?

71 ( oct 70 ) panel , stock height and suspension .

Many thanks

Chico

Sounds like the springplate donuts to me. Replace all 4, no lube required. It won't do any damage if left for the short term. Replacing them will improve the bus handling.

Ok Great thanks ,

I didn't realise there were 4 i thought it was just one either end .

Is there a best quality , recommended one ? i presume no oem available

I heard if you didn't lube you got squeaking ?

Thanks
Chico

Technically, they shouldn't rotate on either the spring plate end or in the beam housing itself. Instead, as the suspension compresses, the bushes should just twist in the middle, but not move. However, with years of wear and possibly the consistency of available parts nowadays, it is quite common to find that after fitting, the bush is rotating on one of the above items rather than being held tightly in position. This is where the annoying squeak comes from. Solutions include using talcum powder or red rubber grease - both of these provide a bit of lubrication and will at least keep it quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chico said:
Is there a best quality , recommended one ? i presume no oem available

The part number is 211 511 245 A. You can get Genuine sometimes, but it's not german.

We've used thousands of spring plate donuts. So many we now have our own tooling and make our own.

There's 5 manufacturers I know of.

-VW Brazil
-Vibrasil
-CE
-TransporterHaus
-unbranded with a chamfer on the outer face. They smell of creosote and are synthetic not natural rubber and have a greasy feel to them.

With the exception of the unbranded synthetic ones they are all as good as each other with a similar shore value. Avoid the unbranded.

Latest posts