Custom gear knobs....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rexer

Reaction score
I posted a while back about this but cant find the thread.

A friend of mine was tasked with turning me a gear knob that would fit my empi shifter as the one i bought got nicked out my glovebox while the van was at the painters.........

At first he said he couldn't do it as his ball turner for the lathe was too small....since then he has made a ball turner that can do the job and has had a crack at making some stuff.

What do you think?

20130518_172121.jpg

20130518_175645.jpg

20130518_172251.jpg

20130518_172243.jpg

He also recently bought an engraving machine and can do stuff like this

20130518_172313.jpg

Although he wasnt planning to make loads and sell them he might just be up for doing this being as he now has the stuff to make em it would be a shame not to.

Anyone fancy a custom knob for their shifter? he can pretty much make them to fit anything thread wise.......

20130518_175712.jpg

53 views and no one wants a custom hand made knob lol

They look very nice, 8) i have just bought a new shifter knob so not wanting to buy again although i'm one of the 53 :lol: but you might get a better response with a rough price guide.

Not sure how much he would want to be honest, he mentioned it would depend on what sort of detail people wanted, ie the flutes on the side would obviously bump up the machining time as well as the price

I think for a plain ball it would be in the region of £40 ish

Those are nice. Only thing I looked at when searching for a knob was the heat. I would think those would get pretty hot in the sun.

I went with marble/glass instead. :D

I will have to look up the ball maker for a lathe though. Sounds like a lot of fun to try to make some. :D

I was one of the "lookers" too and those ones look very nice. Price seems quite reasonable for something hand made too. If I had a custom interior I would be interested but mines stock, so a nice knob would stand out like a spare one lol.

He now has a blog/site. http://Www.properknob.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Latest posts