Deep sumps who's got them

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preston

Reaction score
Fitted my new engine a few weeks ago and it does worry me a bit at how low the deep sump hangs down. Has anyone got a similar set up without any issues? Or should I look at getting it removed

I went down 2 splines on the rear. The only thing I really worry about is any debris in the road or potholes and speed bumps

^^^WHS and what this guy says http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.co.uk/2006/11/vw-deep-sump.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well I don't know who Bob Hoover is but it all sound spot on to me.
I have used the Berg wide thin sump GB210A, and I fitted the Berg full flow system with Fram filter, I think he's right about oil temp as it does take a while to warm up, I feel the oil filter, when it's warm I know it's ready.

I don't agree with him saying they all leak, the Berg one has much longer studs than the cheaper ones I've seen people buying and as long as your vans not lowered I think it's worked well, one other thing I found which is positive is before I fitted it my oil light would come on climbing steep hills, obviously the pick up tube sucking air, that never happens now with the pick up extension if you follow the supplied instructions properly.

I think in modern traffic conditions the larger capacity helps especially in traffic jams.

Or I could just be lying to myself because I like buying pointless bits for my van............ as I've been told :shock:

A deep sump does not add cooling, the oil will get just as hot but will take longer to reach that temp. I've got a 2 litre deep sump on my 2110 so I can have the oil level lower in the sump so the big crank doesn't froth it up yet have the correct amount of oil still if that makes sense? To aid cooling of the big motor I have a remote cooler with a scoop.

K@rlos said:
A deep sump does not add cooling, the oil will get just as hot but will take longer to reach that temp. I've got a 2 litre deep sump on my 2110 so I can have the oil level lower in the sump so the big crank doesn't froth it up yet have the correct amount of oil still if that makes sense? To aid cooling of the big motor I have a remote cooler with a scoop.

I should have put a bit of info on the engine I also have quite a well specked 2110 so have the deep sump for the same reason as you. There is a good write up on gene bergs website about the benefits. I don't really want to take it off and I don't want to raise my bus, I was tempted to see if anyone could fabricate me a guard for it

preston said:
K@rlos said:

I should have put a bit of info on the engine I also have quite a well specked 2110 so have the deep sump for the same reason as you. There is a good write up on gene bergs website about the benefits. I don't really want to take it off and I don't want to raise my bus, I was tempted to see if anyone could fabricate me a guard for it

My bus is lower than that at the back and it's never been an issue for me, just be mindful of excessive camber in the road to slow over speed bumps. Or engine raise?

Best picture I have at present I'm afraid. Yeah got a Berg 2 litre sump

Karlos

Yep ive had a deep sump for years. Just look out for high manholes and speedhumps. Mines been fine till i was at Spa last year. Huge curb going into campsite...went slow but hit it......drove home but was worrying as it had cracked and was dripping. So every 50miles i was checking lol.

I have a CB Slimline deep sump,

Doesn't really hang lower than a brace bar:

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/AC1151708/sump-deep-2-inches-wide-glide-2-quart-cb-performance/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well worth it if you are worried about ground clearance.

I'm not knocking it Alex, but are they strong enough to use a jack on?, that was one of the things that attracted me to the Berg one, along with the rest of the sales pitch.
My friend had one on his beetle it was nothing more than a hollow aluminium box, not sure what make it was.

BRAD said:
I'm not knocking it Alex, but are they strong enough to use a jack on?, that was one of the things that attracted me to the Berg one, along with the rest of the sales pitch.
My friend had one on his beetle it was nothing more than a hollow aluminium box, not sure what make it was.

I really hope you mean when comes to fitting the engine :shock:

Alex VW Heritage said:
well I have had my sump for 6 or 7 years and the engine has been in and out A LOT ;)

Go on then Alex - So how do you support your engine when you take it out? Do you use one of them small trolley's that supports the block on the edges?

Latest posts