Dirty Harry's westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
magoo said:
Did you consider twin carb with the 1776?

Not even for a moment, my old hot 1641 had twin carbs, external oil cooler and bla bla..... and i still have a set twin carbs laying arround but i wanted a engine just as simple as vw intended.
My air cleaner bracket is a bolted one now so i can easily go that route, but this is so quiet now and the power band is so wide that i simply love it, and i like to try a new motor concept.
First i tried to run it with a Bosch 010 and it run sweet but with a electronic 123 ignition with vacuum it pulls so much better especially at low speeds and low revs! these ignitions are awesome.
Long time i was sceptic about electronic ignitions but that is all over now...

Myvanway said:
8)

Hope all is well Harry, Engine looking sweet.

:D

All well on this side of the pond Paul and with you?

Airtime said:
Nice, very, very nice, Harry! 8) Still running the twin pipe setup too?

Yep,pipes and their brackets needed a little modificatien as i mounted a OG westfalia towbar that i had for +\_ 4 years :msn4:
Will be using the towbar mainly for bike carrying.

Been admiring your bus for quite a while, amazing detail everywhere. Certainly set's a benchmark!! Just curious about your 4x4 tyres, did you notice much of a difference in your mpg when you changed over?

Did you end up fitting the wagenwest spindles or did your split rims and tyres just go straight on stock height with no issues :?: Hoping your going to say they just go straight on and away you go, no rubbing or bottoming out....:sign0009:

hi - a classic example of true Epicureanism - magnificent!!

can I ask about the 37mm carb - I've just had my Solex 34/3 carb converted by Guido Wensing to a 37mm to fit to a 1776 - build spec exactly like yours - can you tell me what jets you run in the carb? I run my bus on lpg (it's brilliant) and the 37mm carb will be much better for the lpg gas flow that is supplied using a BLOS carb - the Solex jets make no difference to the lpg supply, but when I need to run on petrol the carb must be properly jetted and mixture adjusted etc.

best regards
Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks!
My carb is also converted and rebuild by Guido, but i don't know what jet sizes it has as i bolted it right on
Guido told met he rejetted it for my engine size and it runs/performs great!

@cornishSilver i pm'd you

Cheers, Harry

thanks Harry - then I shall do the same!!

I am going to set the new engine up on a rolling road so we can get the gas mixtures correct for the engine under different loads, so shall see then how the carb performs - will be interesting to see the power curve data!! I am basically looking for sustained stamina for the hills...

cheers
Rob

Had a nice drive to heat up the engine for draining the engine and gearbox oil.
Using kendall 20w50 racing green in this engine, this oil is also desinged for engines with flat tappets and it has a high percentage of ZDDP the stuff that lubricates the tappets and camshaft.
A lot of oils are missing this today!

And you don't have to jack it up to drop the oils !!!

And you don't have to jack it up to drop the oils !!!

The NOS guy in me got loose again and i found myself a NOS aircleaner 211 129 607F with a vacuum/temperature operated flap.
I had a cable operated aircleaner that i wanted to hook up to the cooling flaps like OG but this only works with a singleport manifold, there is simply no room with the twinport manifold.
Before the new aircleaner the carb showed some condensation, this codensation is now completly gone and the engine is running so much smoother, you got to love some German engineering :mrgreen:
I also put my spare wheel in a NLA VW roofbag allong with some other stuff, and made a cushion to fit over the sparewheel gap.

That air cleaner looks like it means business - good buy :)

Van looks as cool as ever!

Latest posts