Disc brake splash plates.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buxtonbug

Reaction score
Hope someone may have some they can check sizes for me. I have a set that should be for a late bay but don,t fit wondering if they may be for the early set up.

If anyone could check a couple of sizes so I can compare that would be great.

I need 1. Overall diameter of the splash plate.
2. With plate sat flat on large outer edge height to underside of mounting face I.e. the offset.

I will check mine later and post them to compare.

Thanks. Mark

Ok original 285mm dia. Height 30mm. With an offset to fit spindle of 18mm.
Replacements 325 dia. Height 30mm with only 8mm offset..

I,m thinking this is due to the different callipers used on the early dis brake setup.

Any help much appreciated.

Ok having checked out sizes of callipers and discs on early and late bay I,m pretty sure these splash plates are for the early style set up with the thinner discs and pads. Would be great if someone can confirm before I put them up for sale.

Thanks Mark

The usual suppliers only list one backplate for '71-'79. Does this mean that they should be the same for both caliper styles or is the aftermarket one a compromise universal fit?

The callipers are different and the spindles are to compensate for this. JK do a spacer kit to use the late calliper on the early set up which moves the calliper back to align with disc.

A late splash plate may fit early spindles but would probably needs spacer behind it but if you put the early ones on late spindles the brake disc touches it and wont turn which is the problem I have so I,ll sell these on and get the correct ones for mine.

I think its just the opening for the caliper thats bigger on 72> ,you have to cut the 71s to fit 72> calipers.

early and late differ and the new ones available are late but 2 bolt fixing for the brazilian bays so need monification

This is the brake disc backing plate of my 1978 late bay if the picture is of any help to you
Sorry im afraid i cant measure it at the moment as my bus is over a hundred miles away

007-4.jpg

Latest posts