Dizzy: SDVA to 009 Pertronix, simple job?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SiDev

Reaction score
So, I'm running a 1641 with twin 36 Dellorto's and a SVDA distributor, but have picked up a 009 with Pertronix module with a Flame Thrower coil. Is it a simple enough switch? Any downsides? Any tips? All help appreciated.

the SVDA uses a vacuum from the carb to advance and so is better suited to road use. a 009 is (IMO) not a good thing on a bay as it uses only engine speed (and not engine load) to determine its advance curve. Personally Id stick with the svda and perhaps put an electronic module on it if its in good nick (and sell your 009)

Personally I'd stick with the SVDA.
However the swap is straightforward enough if you bear in mind that the 009 is probably 180 degrees out compared to the SVDA, so you'll need to swap the leads around on the dizzy cap.
Make sure you're definitely at TDC on no. 1 before removing the old distributor, drop the 009 in and connect the leads back up in firing order.
You should be in the ballpark with timing enough to get it started, then set the timing for max. advance of 30-32 degrees at 3000 rpm.

Cheers boys, now I've got it I think I'll drop it in for a couple of weeks and see how it goes, if it's not for me I'll sell it on.

The svda not only has the vac advance but also mechanical giving a smoother delivery. I'd keep it

Latest posts