Do you carry a jack

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haveacamper

Reaction score
Hi guys, i thought i asked this question before, but a quick search and i cant find anything.

i was just wondering whether people carry a jack around with them and if so, which one? i currently carry the only one i have which is a 2 tonne trolley jack. is this excessive?

NaFe

i carry the same- it is probably excessive. the only thing you really need it for is changing wheels- most other stuff you could push up onto a kerb to crawl under the van.

I used to carry a trolley jack, until Me Brightside pointed out to me that a 'bilstein jack' that fits in the jacking points would do the job.
I purchased one from Volksheaven for £20 and now saves me carrying round a bulky trolley jack.

I have what I assume is the original jack which clips under the passenger seat.

A lot of you guys carry trolley or bottle jacks, is there something others need to be aware of if just carrying the original jack ??
( I'm lowered on T/haus dropped spindles / adj.rear spring plates but not yet on the road )

Mickey Sam said:
I have what I assume is the original jack which clips under the passenger seat.

A lot of you guys carry trolley or bottle jacks, is there something others need to be aware of if just carrying the original jack ??
( I'm lowered on T/haus dropped spindles / adj.rear spring plates but not yet on the road )

Same here - one of these :-

70ownmanpage22.jpg

On a stock height bus they are great because they have the lift height needed without the weight and bulk of an aftermarket hydraulic.

As with using any jack, it is vital to make sure the bus cannot move (h/brake, in gear, wheels chocked). Apart from the usual jonny drongo previous owners losing them, a fair proportion of the original jacks have dissapeared over time because if the vehicle does move it twists and breaks the original jack.

Small(ish) trolley jack onboard for me.

I've got a little orange card in my wallet with RAC written on it.... I've got no intention of jacking anything outside of my own workshop/garage!

Shorty said:
I've got a little orange card in my wallet with RAC written on it.... I've got no intention of jacking anything outside of my own workshop/garage!

sparkywig said:
Why carry a jack, I don't even carry a spare....

Quite a remarkable attitude.

Always within range of a quick recovery service - its clear neither of these vehicles is likely to be going anywhere interesting.

Whatever happened to "self reliance"

Is this part of the modern attitude of "why buy a workshop manual when you can ask on an internet forum what your tyre pressures/spark plugs etc should be?".

Aside from the personal pride thing - I also dont understand why anybody would wish to take the chance of having to wait for hours at the side of the road for a simple puncture and then have to be recovered home because they cant be arsed to even carry a spare.

The time and effort being used up on the recovery services means some other person, with a real and valid breakdown, has to wait much longer while your selfishness is being sorted out for you.

:? :shock: :p its a rant - :lol:

Trikky2 said:
Shorty said:

sparkywig said:
Why carry a jack, I don't even carry a spare....

Quite a remarkable attitude.

Always within range of a quick recovery service - its clear neither of these vehicles is likely to be going anywhere interesting.

Whatever happened to "self reliance"

Is this part of the modern attitude of "why buy a workshop manual when you can ask on an internet forum what your tyre pressures/spark plugs etc should be?".

Aside from the personal pride thing - I also dont understand why anybody would wish to take the chance of having to wait for hours at the side of the road for a simple puncture and then have to be recovered home because they cant be arsed to even carry a spare.

The time and effort being used up on the recovery services means some other person, with a real and valid breakdown, has to wait much longer while your selfishness is being sorted out for you.

:? :shock: :p its a rant - :lol:

each to their own mate, some folks rather pay for breakdown services and use them as and when required, some prefer to sort stuff themselves , some sit in the middle fike me, i ll have a go but if i cannt sort it i know a man who will get me home or to a garage!!!

I don't carry a jack because I don't have spare wheel , I've got a can of trye foam and aa card
I don't like the wheel on the front and dont want to share the bed with one either and kids stuff pile on the roof rack
and find the bit where the spare should be great for all my spares coil dizzy leads etc
Ive got to put my Stella's some where as I always need them and when I need a spare wheel , well at least I've got my Stella :party0047:

I've been driving for 32 years and I've never had to change a wheel at the side of the road. :?

there are about 10 different things that are more likely to break down than your tire, but you don't carry a spare one of those.

we only take the spare on longer trips, but we share one wheel on all cars going.

that's what i carry too ....... partly because i can't seem to get the exact tyre i want for a spare. 195 x 14 vanco 2.

triothreetrio said:
I don't carry a jack because I don't have spare wheel , I've got a can of trye foam and aa card

Latest posts