Do you use your sink?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberdyne systems

Reaction score
Hi, kinda stupid question really, but I was reading a post by someone who rebuilt their sink pipe work, pump handle etc, and got to thinking I never use my sink (apart from storing stuff in it) in my Westy. Do any of you use it for its intended purpose? Any pics of it in use? ;)

Same here, use the cooler but the sink gets used as a dumping ground for small odds and ends.............
Have thought about taking it out and making a smaller shelf unit to fit in its place, giving alot more space.

Wow never expected to get any replies! More storage would be great but it seems wrong to tamper with the original design, but imagine the space you could have, maybe a fridge could go in with the water container removed?

Never put water in it, not even cleaned it out yet though only had the van a month or so......

I'd thought about removing it to change it but don't want to mess the original unit. Might build a new one to replace it one day.

cyberdyne systems said:
More storage would be great but it seems wrong to tamper with the original design, but imagine the space you could have, maybe a fridge could go in with the water container removed?

Yeah know what you mean as the cutlery draw and spice rack/table are well handy, but making something more useable out of genuine units and keeping the cooler/sink unit in the garage is deffinitly a possibility.

Yep. Tap works well, tank all cleaned and sterilised, drains all in place. :)
Wouldnt be without mine.

I only ever used mine once to throw up in after too many sambucas :D

We really use the van as a lounge as we usually cook and wash up outside so seems like a waste to me

I wish I had the option to use one, need one to complete the interior but struggling to find one that isn't at stupid money. I think if we had one it'd mainly be the cooler that we used as the sink's don't seem to be a very useful size.....

I guess it depends on how much overnight camping you do (as opposed to just days out) and the facilities at the campsite. We go to quote a few sites with limited facilites so use the sink for washing up, personal washing, cleaning teeth etc but saying that, I can easily imagine it being fairly easy to live without

I don't use mine. It is more useful with a top on it as a work surface. But like others it generally has all sorts of odds and ends sitting in it!!

But water...no.

Sydney1 said:
I guess it depends on how much overnight camping you do (as opposed to just days out) and the facilities at the campsite. We go to quote a few sites with limited facilites so use the sink for washing up, personal washing, cleaning teeth etc but saying that, I can easily imagine it being fairly easy to live without

I agree. If you dont camp or only ever stay on sites with good facilities then the use of the sink is limited. On the other hand if you wild camp its very useful, though I guess you could use a washing up bowel on a table instead but its a bit unhandy with tipping a bulky water carrier.

Part of it is also to do with legislation. To qualify and be registered as a motor caravan the vehicle has to have water, washing up, cooker, wardrobe, sleeping accom etc. I think these regs were originally there because until the early 70's motor caravans were exempt from special car tax.

There used to be quite a few motor caravan conversions up until that time that were the absolute minimum to meet the regs because it was a cheap way to buy a minibus.

Ours is always full of kids felt tips and comics, use the cooler, But seriously thinking of taking it out to use the space for something else,

cyberdyne systems said:
Hi, kinda stupid question really, but I was reading a post by someone who rebuilt their sink pipe work, pump handle etc, and got to thinking I never use my sink (apart from storing stuff in it) in my Westy. Do any of you use it for its intended purpose? Any pics of it in use? ;)

That'll be my post then :) , probably wont use it much now i've gone to the time and expense to get it all working but saying that we did use the one in our T25 quite a bit, pretty usefull for cleaning teeth and having a quick freshen up when at VW events.

i use mine all the time and wouldn't be without it. The fridge is a different matter. most of our trips only consist of one or two nights so i have taken to using a cool box rather than mess around with the gas on the fridge, not sure how long the leisure battery would last if i just left that plugged in to it.

Latest posts