Does your partner understand??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

89Rallye

Reaction score
As title really,

I've been with her in doors for 11 years now and I don't think she realised till recently just how bad this VW addiction is, she'll come the shows with me but it's more for the day out than the Vw's and she's never really been into it them or any desire to go out camping in a van etc

Although this of course is hard for her because I've yet to get a van on the road so we've never experienced it and too make things worse our "pretty" van (her words) is a long way off now because of paintshop delays and my suggestion of using the ugly duckling van that's very close to MOT didn't go down too well :lol:

How to other people get on?

Not the addiction and defo not the money!!
But after 20 years this year I reacon she has just come to accept there is something wrong with me. :lol: :lol:

J & P
:D :D :D

My mrs loves cars and all the shows and drag racing. I bought her a bug for her birthday, she never drives it , so it's my other baby! Should of chose a bunch of flowers instead !
We go to shows and she says "why isnt ours nice like this one?" I say cos it cost me a 4k not 20 :lol: but by the time I've restored it (after building our extension) she might be a bit keener on it. She hates it ,refuses to camp in it and threatens to set fire to it while I'm out as " I love it more than her " :shock: :lol:
So the answer is no, she don't understand.

Can't do shows with the Mrs thank god for that. I think you need seperate hobbies and interests.

Anyway, she wouldn't want to spend the day with a bunch of "VW losers" and we wouldn't have her. :msn4:

My missus has been through the ups and downs of me rebuilding 3 heaps of shite over the last 21 years.
She's very happy to go away in the bus camping with friends, but is fed up to the back teeth of shows. She says they're all the same, and she has got a valid point.

As you know Mark Helen loves camping in the van but isnt too keen on the shows as i tend to go missing for hours and spend money on stuff i dont need.

ps ill get that sliding door handle on sat if poss as its a pain in the arse without it

mark

No not really, if I show her a magazine with the most amazing bus/Dub that you can imagine, it's usually greeted with 'oh that's nice' without even looking at it :roll: Why don't they get it?!!

My other half is quite willing to get her hands dirty by grabbing hold of (oops thats another story), but joking apart she is quite willing to help out in the garage and work on the bus.

My bus has cost me my girlfriend I was with her for quite a while too. According to her I'm a dead beat and a waste of space who's only intrested in getting drunk and his stupid old van :lol: tbh I don't really care because I had forgotten how much I like being single :mrgreen:

Yeah I think mine does as she has more than help to finance the huge costs these things bring with them, she even approved of the shinny new mcj steering wheel as she was fed up of me looking at every show :)

--------------------------------------
Why didn't I buy my bus years ago !?

Hannah definitely does as she wanted the van in the first place and loves camping and going to shows :) gives me the freedom to spend time and money on it with no aggro.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I think mine certainly 'gets' the VW thing. She loves travel and camping, whether she likes shows remains to be seen, bringing her to her first one (Aircooled 14).
And mostly she lets me talk about them constantly (look at this one....ooo this one has air....that's a nice steering wheel) without her eyes glazing over too much.

What I like (original and a bit knocked about), and what she likes (shiny and pretty) are two different things so my original knocked about bus certainly doesn't float her boat, she cant understand why I enjoy spending all day Saturday and Sunday tinkering with it and also she is not that interested in shows and doesn't like to camp in the bus...... apart from that I think she understands :D :D :D

K@rlos said:
My bus has cost me my girlfriend I was with her for quite a while too. According to her I'm a dead beat and a waste of space who's only intrested in getting drunk and his stupid old van :lol: tbh I don't really care because I had forgotten how much I like being single :mrgreen:

Reminds me of the joke "I got a bus for my girlfriend - seemed like a fair swap !"

I am lucky my wife loves VW's she drove an all original 62 goldi rag top as her daily for 3-4 years after we got married. She likes most shows although we both find they can get a bit repetitive so we pick and choose which ones we attend.
I generally get away with spending what I like on the bus providing in not neglecting things for the house, garden etc. All in all she's a top bird !

Sounds like i must be quite lucky!! My other half totally gets it - happy to let me hide in my 'man cave' for days on the van and is not worried about it looking like a patchwork quilt till its fully done. Loves the shows and camping in the van, and is willing to help when i need another pair of hands :D

My wife loves it! thank fuck :mrgreen:

Its "our" bus so Clare has no problems with me spending hours in the garage fettling or even bringing in manky bits into the house. She even assisted with refitting the engine. She would rather me in the garage fiddling than down the pub!

As for shows and going out in the bus - she loves it all, any excuse to go camping and we are away! Suppose I am lucky really but we decided on a bus and have made it ours in the couple of years we have had him.

Although when he does decide to have an unscheduled rest (breakdown) she isnt always best pleased.

I love VW's but I'm also a mad cyclist which is just as expensive. Luckily for me she loves both :)

As the 4 ish posts above. Mine loves it ,has her own beetle and another van soon, my 8 year old couldnt be without him. As above shows a bit dull but all our holidays are in him. Im real lucky

Latest posts