Dormobile poptop spring assembly?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mginty

Reaction score
South of Bristol somewhere in Somerset....
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Dormobile
Hi,

Have had my poptop bits back and am in need of some guidance re putting them back together!
I thought I had taken photos but can only find one end (roof end)...
Anyway, I've had a search around and think I've got it.
I used this topic mainly - Loxy's pics (thanks!) -http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13256 for the pics and some others which I can't find anymore but search for dormi poptop springs on this forum....
Here's a pic of the front arm assembly

Poptop1.jpg

I think I have the springs correct. The bracket for the warning light should be this way round?
With the bracket, I think the bolt goes in this way which will assist tightening the nut.
And I'm pretty sure the washers go between each spring.
The rear will be opposite to this and you can tell the way the arm goes round because of the holding clips

Here's the roof end showing washer location:
Poptop2.jpg

It differs from Loxy's pics but I don't have the extra washer or should there be a washer also on the bolt head side??
Also, the bottom brackets don't have that extra supporting piece but perhaps that's the difference between the years (mine's a 70):
poptop3.jpg

Anyway, if anyone has anything to add I'd love to hear it as I'm not sure I've got this correct.
Cheers

The only thing I could think of that the extra "bracket" in the last pic does is shield the canvas from getting pinched in the mechanism when you let the roof down. If you were thinking of making some here's a picture showing them better.
DSCF1460.jpg

TBH I don't know. The one I had came already dismantled so I had to make it up and did same as you with the washers at the top. The bottom springs were attached to the brackets still so I didn't pay them much attention. I seem to vaguely remember the nut shaped hole in the spring backet though. I guess to hold the bolt head rather than the nut to keep the spring tensioned? Hopefully someone who actually still has one will check for you. Mine's long gone and so's my memory...

http://clip2net.com/clip/m178491/1365557615-clip-78kb.jpgone" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can anyone sell me original washers? I have the complete original Martin Walter poptop and just missing the washers.

Latest posts