drive slammed import-scary!help *PICS ADDED*

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sackmcgannay

Reaction score
Picked up my early deluxe import on wednesday from southampton port - had a friend with some trade plates so set off in it to brighton. Straight away realised we wern't going to make it!
the main issue was the brakes - pulling so hard to left when braking just slightly - but thats probably a relatively easy fix

my worry is its almost impossible to keep it on the road - I've heard handling gets worse the lower you go but this was just stupid - so i'm thinking i maybe need a recon s/box?
I'm not sure its even got any suspension! its so low i physically cant see under there but the smallest bump in the road sends shivers through my spine. I rocked the van side to side - the van hardly moves but the wheel rocks with the van - so its like there is zero suspension.
The top of the tyre is about 1/2" from the inner arch and there is no rubbing when driving.

the van was sold as having -

4" narrowed adj beam
dropped spindles
notching all round

I'm going to grt it up on some stands and take some picks tomorrow. I'll post them up and hopefully someone can tell me whats going on.

I've never driven a slammed t2 - just admired them. so anyone who's got one out there - is this the ride quality that you put up with being so low??

cheers
it sits this low without all the timber in it :D
IMG_7062-1.jpg

To be fair being that low its not gonna be that smooth a ride. Probably has beam adjusters aswell. Plus you gotta think there are very thin tyres on the front making it even more harsh.

Looks so cool though man 8)

I guess that's wagonwest spindles and adjusters? Has it got dampers on the front? Some us rides don't ... If they are fitted maybe try different shocks.
The back end will be harsh though.

Look cool though! :D

As Clem said re shocks .

Brave to drive away from docks fella , :shock:

100_2495.jpg

This is mine mate similar height but no major problems with handling , obviously drives different to a stocker but you pays your money and take what this slamming lark throws at ya ! :lol:

Not being funny but this is why you don't drive them away from the docks, even on trade plates its not legal.

The brakes are likely to be the wheel cylinders leaking on the opposite side so only the Left hand side is working hence the pulling, this is very common on US buses.

As Clem and Grazy have said the ride could be lots of things, drop spindles and adjusters are not a great combination when running that low, most people at the height would be running King & Link, Tie rods could be bent causing the steering to feel very odd and as Clem said theres a chance it may not have any dampers, again this is something the guys in the states do, illegal in this country.

If you can get it in the air get some photos up and post them up, be interesting to see what they've done

You must have been crazy to drive it home from the docks! I do some mad stuff but this tops it, if you had got stopped your bus would have more than likely been crushed!! :cry:

As for the ride, like mentioned before maybe its not got any shocks, iv used early beetle ones (which are short) all round due to mine being so low, this stops the bus ones bottoming out, my splitscreen was slammed and a hard ride but drove quite well, if its all done properly you can have a lowered bus that drives ok, obviously that comes at a cost or a lot of skill!

If you look at feb 2011 camper and bus you will see Guy from slamwerks bus which is very low, iv been in it though and it is not a bad ride at all due to the chassis work etc,

Im sure with a bit of tinkering you will get it sorted, id say talk to some slam shops for advice etc, also it looks sick slammed with those sprintstars dude! cool ride 8)

mine i'd consider low.... similar height maybe lower than grazy's an it drives fairly smooth to be honest.

as said all your brakes will need going over, even tho its an old bus it should stop straight, without much drama.

I'll take a look at it if you are in Brighton......
It shouldn't drive that bad if its been slammed properly.

its a brave move to say the least driving your bus back from the docks. your bus has spent 40+ years driving in a country who dont care if it is safe or not and have no way of checking. as for low, some people spend £3000 lowering a bus right. some others get the welder out and cut a slot in their beam till the suspension stops moving. i would say £2000 is the bare minimum you need to spend doing decent brake and suspension mods and evenm then it may need raising a bit.. it does look good tho and hats off for throwing yourself in at the deep end. :D

The best bit of advice here is to get it to someone who knows what they are doing and has the equipment to check over it properly. It could be many things causing the problems or just one simple one.

It will never drive like a stock bus but it should be respectable.

Grazy said:
jacks906 said:
maybe lower than grazy's .

:lol: FIiiiiGHT !!!!! :lol:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Couldn't resist :lol: I'll measure once it's back together :mrgreen:

but if were measuring

72576_448184437954_515377954_5427866_8263671_n.jpg

5.5 inches at the front
5inches at the rear
measured centre of the spindle to arch lip

soon to be lower after clearance issues are sorted :mrgreen: