Driving license entitlement

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharky71

Reaction score
Quick question........

After you have taken and passed your various tests and you get the length of time shown on the license to hold the relevant category with the expiry date,do you have to retake the tests or just reapply to get them put back on when you reach the date?

Did i make that clear enough?

I have a Class 2 entitlement and a motorcycle entitlement both are full and i can not remember without looking which one has a best before date of 2016.
Will i need to retake the test or do i just reapply?

Regards.

Sharky.

Hi Sharky,
A little bit confusing. Are you implying that you have reached a certain age ie 65 or 70. When you reach 65 to retain your HGV license you will have to go for medical only and not re-sit test but you can still drive a 2 axle vehicle up to 7.5 tonne with out medical.When you reach 70 the maximum weight allowed goes down to 3.5 tonne with out medical.If you want to keep your HGV 2 licence after 65 you must have medical and you will need D2 application form and form D4 medical filled in. You can get these forms from http://www.gov.uk/dvlaforms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Your motor cycle licence is renewed automatically but after age 70 you have renew licence every 3 years. Been there,done it and got tea shirt. I didn't bother renewing my Class 1 licence at 65 but have just taken medical now that I a 70 to continue to drive 7.5 tonne. Hope this helps.
Robert

To keep your class 2 licence you need to go for a medical at 45 50 55 etc. did my C + E (class 1) medical in July age 45. Had the licence for 20 years I am sure the DVLA send you out a medical form but don't quote me on that. As to motorbike it should be there to 70 then I think again you need a med test only. There is no re doing of the driving tests

thejinx said:
To keep your class 2 licence you need to go for a medical at 45 50 55 etc. did my C + E (class 1) medical in July age 45. Had the licence for 20 years I am sure the DVLA send you out a medical form but don't quote me on that. As to motorbike it should be there to 70 then I think again you need a med test only. There is no re doing of the driving tests

Do you need to pay for the medical? Where can you go for them?

dustrat said:
Hi Sharky,
A little bit confusing. Are you implying that you have reached a certain age ie 65 or 70. When you reach 65 to retain your HGV license you will have to go for medical only and not re-sit test but you can still drive a 2 axle vehicle up to 7.5 tonne with out medical.When you reach 70 the maximum weight allowed goes down to 3.5 tonne with out medical.If you want to keep your HGV 2 licence after 65 you must have medical and you will need D2 application form and form D4 medical filled in. You can get these forms from http://www.gov.uk/dvlaforms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Your motor cycle licence is renewed automatically but after age 70 you have renew licence every 3 years. Been there,done it and got tea shirt. I didn't bother renewing my Class 1 licence at 65 but have just taken medical now that I a 70 to continue to drive 7.5 tonne. Hope this helps.
Robert

Sorry forgot to add i am the tender age of 43 and did not want to get caught with me pants down and nabbed with no license.
So for motorcycle i just reapply,is that at a cost?
For C+E i need medical?

Regards.

Sharky.

a photocard licence lasts for 10 years at which time you just renew it (prob with new pic if you have changed lots), hgv lasts 5 years from age 45, so you get a medical every 5 years at doc's with the form dvla send out then send off licence to renew the expiry on the hgv cat. And yes sorry you have to pay for medical, normally doc's charge between £85- 125 but you might get your employer to pay it if you aint self employed. I'm like you where my licence expires at a different time to my hgv so pain sending off a few times, but whatever you do before you send it off PHOTOCOPY ALL OF THE BITS as they sometimes send back with cat's missing, normally motorbike
https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As an aside to this I presume you are aware than you can no longer drive a 7.5 tonner or Class 2 unless you have completed 35 hours of CPC training so its no longer just about having the licence entitlement its about completing classroom training on an ongoing basis as well, I think the CPC bit lasts 5 years before you need to resit it.

Graham L said:
As an aside to this I presume you are aware than you can no longer drive a 7.5 tonner or Class 2 unless you have completed 35 hours of CPC training so its no longer just about having the licence entitlement its about completing classroom training on an ongoing basis as well, I think the CPC bit lasts 5 years before you need to resit it.
And what a rip off load of shiite that is! You can still technically drive unless it's for hire or reward, and there are other certain exceptions but what a crock that is. It's over 3.5 ton aswell which is even worse

hogseye said:
Graham L said:
And what a rip off load of shiite that is! You can still technically drive unless it's for hire or reward, and there are other certain exceptions but what a crock that is. It's over 3.5 ton aswell which is even worse

Yep, training is approx £350 and my understanding it's if it's for any commercial purpose full stop.

Yes as you have to have a digital tacho card as well which is like a copy of your normal driving licence but records your hours etc.

Low n slow said:
Is it obligatory now to have a photo licence then? :shock:
No, but when you need to change address or any details on the old paper licence you will have to get a photo card one. The paper part that is issued with the photocard licence at the moment to record points etc on becomes obsolete next year... You will still get points for stuff unfortunately but it is recorded at dvla electronically and companies will have to pay to see if your licence is clean or not.. Another great British rip off

hogseye said:
Low n slow said:
Is it obligatory now to have a photo licence then? :shock:
No, but when you need to change address or any details on the old paper licence you will have to get a photo card one. The paper part that is issued with the photocard licence at the moment to record points etc on becomes obsolete next year... You will still get points for stuff unfortunately but it is recorded at dvla electronically and companies will have to pay to see if your licence is clean or not.. Another great British rip off

But you can only get a digital tacho card if you have a photo driving licence and all trucks have had digital tachos now for approx 5 years.

Latest posts