Dropped Spindle ?'s

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panic_fan

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
microbus
Anyone have any pictures of the install of drop spindles?

If i understand correctly, they are basically take the old ones off and put the new ones on. Any modifications or anything? Any help is appreciated.

It's pretty straightforward...

05022008721.jpg

08022008725.jpg

08022008726.jpg

08022008727.jpg

08022008728.jpg

If you're running 14 inch wheels you might need to clearence the inner wheel weights on the bottom ball joints though.

give alex at transporterhaus a call for good quality dropped spindles...cheap too and with the USD going mental then his spindles offer good value...think it`s http://www.transporterhaus.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but if that doesn`t work then google it or look in volksworld

Slammed said:
It's pretty straightforward...

If you're running 14 inch wheels you might need to clearence the inner wheel weights on the bottom ball joints though.

Thanks man! Those are perfect pics. Thats more than just 2.5 drop spindles? It looks low.

Take note of the eccentric nut on the top balljoint (it governs the camber of the front wheels) If you look close you will see a little notch on one side. Its a nice and easy job tho, should take around a hour per wheel and you don't have to the crack the brake lines :).
Oh, make sure you transfer the inner bearing spacer off your old spindles to the new ones. (i forgot to do that and had to strip it down again :oops: )you can see the spacer in the pics on the old spindles.

14082008598.jpg

14082008597.jpg

14082008600.jpg

14082008601.jpg

i've been told that they won't :(.... although i have not had this confirmed. Anyone else know?

Maybe ww balljoint disc brake dropped spindles would work rather than the drum brake ones?

ant said:
certainly more than 2.5" drop on the above pics, must lowered on adjustors too.

Yep, when that last photo was taken I'd lowered the adjusters so much the beam was sitting on the ground. :lol:

Drives lovely. Tyres very rarely rub but anti roll bar scrapes from tiem to time.
It's a couple of inches higher now though.

Can anyone explain the "clicks" on lowering the rear? I am thinking about ordering the drop spindles, but I am not sure what all is needed for the rear. As always pics are great!

Thanks!

panic_fan said:
Since everyone was so helpful about the spindles....
Can anyone explain the "clicks" on lowering the rear? I am ordering the drop spindles as of the first of the year (after christmas $$$ rolls in) but I am not sure what all is needed for the rear. As always pics are great!

Thanks!

I would go for adjustable spring plates from Creative. I have fitted them to 3 buses now and they are easy to fit and are easily adjustable, you will need to let creative know which year your bus is as the spines changed in August 69 (I think).

Jon

DSC_0123.jpg

All this info is very helpful....

I have a few other questions.

-Anyone have a picture of before and after with only drop spindles? (I dont want to slam my bus....want to keep it looking somewhat original, just a lil lower in front)

-Can I use the same tires and shocks if I use the 2.5 drop spindles up front....Will it rub or anything ? ?

Anyhelp is appreciated.

My van looked the same as yours (stance wise) before I had dropped spindles, I ran it on the standard wheels and tyres, again the same as yours, it looked a lot better although it did need to be lowered a touch at the back, it did rub the tops of the arches when i went over big bumps, but i think a stiffer front strut would help that.

I have since fitted a red 9 kit as i wanted it lower and lowered the back end 4" :) it should sit a lot lower now :)

AxlFoley said:
My van looked the same as yours (stance wise) before I had dropped spindles, I ran it on the standard wheels and tyres, again the same as yours, it looked a lot better although it did need to be lowered a touch at the back, it did rub the tops of the arches when i went over big bumps, but i think a stiffer front strut would help that.
:)

Thanks! Did you have to modify anything when you put the spindles on? I have heard that dropped spindles have a 12 mm wheel base increase per side, and you may need to trim a small bit from your backing plate?

Do you have any pics before you lowered the back, just curious what the rake would look like.
Thanks again.

AxlFoley said:
And some more

DSC03006.jpg

Awesome! Thanks man. That is exactly what I wanted to see! Now I really need to start saving some cash for the spindles!

lol yeah it does look good, that bloke smiling at you is a good 16 stone so that dropped it a bit more ;)

Latest posts