EgoTrippin' Part 2 - Interior resto

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having this conversion done has added 20-25mph to the top speed of the bus (admittedly it wasn't all that high to start with :wink: ).
If you've got a slammed bus and have changed the wheel/tyre combo its the way forward :)

So whats the drive in and drive out price :?: :wink:

i spotted the add fo your conversion in the mag this month and did some ringing around due to 6 rib box frustrations, sadly the split boys have made the 1303s box a rare comodetty. (probably harder to prize out of someones hands than a six rib).

Yeah I found it difficult trying to locate a 1303s box, but slammedkustom came through with a 1302 box instead :)

Hi Steve

What is the differnce between the 1302 and the 1303s. I have a 1303s which I was going to use. How are the hills, does it just been dropping to 3rd?

Looking good....how is the interior? Still sat around the flat :D

Had a quick peek in your bus at dubfreeze...still looking very space age... :lol: your flat not a bit cramped at the mo...

Not sure what the exact differences are between the boxes - I just know that mine pulls up hills better than it used to :)
It also depends on the tyre size at the back too - mine are a larger profile (185/60) than the speedmaster bus which has a 1303s box.
At the moment on my speedo (which reads wrong cos of the tyre sizes) I now change gears at:
2nd-20mph (previously 10mph)
3rd-35mph (previously 20mph)
4th-50mph (previously 30mph)
top speed on the speedo is about 87mph (previously 62mph) which I reckon in reality is about 70mph. Hope that makes sense!

Yeah the flat is still full - and it got worse yesterday as I located all the ply I needed. So the kitchen became a workshop for cutting all the interior side panels.
They are all cut now so its varnishing time. It will probably take a couple of weeks to get that done as I've only got space to do a couple of panels at a time.

Also started replacing all the piping on the westy units, sticking down any peeling laminate and repairing any loose sections on the units.

Deadline - Volksworld show :shock:

Good luck, did you get the ply for the roof? and if so where? I cant find any here so looks like I'll be going further afield....

Thanks Araon - yes I got the ply for the roof too. Its 1.5mm thick available in 5'x5' sheets. I got it from an independent timber place in Brighton.
I think this place does them a little closer to you

http://www.dhhtimber.co.uk/birch_plywoods.htm

I'm using 4mm thick panels for the sides, which is available in 8'x4' sheets.

Cheers, I supose it would be similar to the 1303s. It sounds like it has made a massive difference. It certainly makes me want to do mine. Was it easy to fit?

I will be in the line up at Volksworld too so I can check it out properly.

Keep up the good work.

8)

Cheers, I supose it would be similar to the 1303s. It sounds like it has made a massive difference. It certainly makes me want to do mine. Was it easy to fit?

Tim fitted it - I supervised :wink:
The clutch had to be changed too as I had the wrong type to fit the beetle box.
You'll get to Volksworld a whole lot faster Jon :)

andewilson said:
i spotted the add fo your conversion in the mag this month and did some ringing around due to 6 rib box frustrations, sadly the split boys have made the 1303s box a rare comodetty. (probably harder to prize out of someones hands than a six rib).

just bought a whole 1303s for £50 :wink: , should be able to break it for the box and make a few bob on parts :D

Johnnyâ„¢ said:
just bought a whole 1303s for £50 :wink: , should be able to break it for the box and make a few bob on parts :D

bargain! :shock:
glad the box worked out steve :wink:

Finally some progress :)

After a few weeks of cutting, sanding, varnishing, profanities and more varnishing the bus is all panelled out and the floor is down too

DSC03366.jpg

DSC03367.jpg

DSC03369.jpg

DSC03368.jpg

DSC03370.jpg

Also managed to get the wardrobe and rock-n-roll bed base back in there today too :)

Excellent work dude, so all that channel you got working ok for holding the roof ply?

Cheers Tim. The channels are perfect for it. They 'I' section ones are smaller than the samples I showed you a while ago.

Latest posts