EgoTrippin' Part 2 - Interior resto

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Jon :)

Thankfully I've managed to get Thursday and Friday off work so I should get it done. Just loads of little jobs to do :wink:

The headlining is 1.5mm thick Birch ply which fits into the channels and 'I' sections on this thread which I sourced from an aluminium supplier in London:
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?t=5810

The side panels are 4mm thick ply. The edges that fit into the existing channels need to be feathered down to about 3mm thick so they fit into the channels.

All ply was given 2 coats of satin yacht varnish to both sides.

The most difficult bit was forming the tailgate hinge cover panel. This was made from 1.5mm thick birch ply, with extra pieces of the same ply with the grain running 90 degrees on the back so that the bits you want to stay flat stay that way. Then it needs steaming to a 40mm radius as per the OG westy ones. And it takes lots of filing to get it to fit the curves of the rooline, even after several card templates. I had to make this piece to fit the wardrobe I have, as it already has the curve section cut out of the top of it. Otherwise I think most people just go for a shelf there.

Cheers Araon,

it took about 20 mins to steam because the ply is so thin. Then I left it in the jig for 24 hours. One end split slightly when I got a bit carried away :shock:
Fortunately the wardrobe conceals that bit :wink:

The ply doesn't hold at 90 degrees, but steaming it allows the panel to fit.

how did you steam it in a box or over the kettle :lol: possibly got an idea I've been contemplating for a while and not steamed ply since school woodwork and that was in a pucker steam room...

Fortunatley I have a cheap steam cleaner with a 'turbo' :shock: nozzle on the end so it was easier than using a kettle.
Got it from woolworths a couple of years ago :)

My jig was my old speaker box forcing the ply against my kitchen base units. All weighed down with a spare wheel I just happen to have in the kitchen.
My kitchen is looking a bit less like a workshop now :)

It was a mad rush to get the interior finished and the overiders on for the Volksworld Show and I just about managed it.

DSC03430.jpg

a couple of closer views of the tailgate hinge cover
DSC03431.jpg

DSC03432.jpg

DSC03433.jpg

DSC03434.jpg

Just got a couple of small jobs to do along with fitting the door cards, then its time to sit back and enjoy it :)
Its been pretty tough doing this over the last few weeks but its been worthwhile and feel I know my bus a lot more by doing so.
Thanks to everyone for their nice comments at the show too :)

Steve, as I said, a great job, well thought out and very well executed. :) Made the van so much more useable,too.

Dont forget the ply panel between the sink unit and the b post ;)

Its next on the list Clem :)

I noticed I was missing that as part of my westy detail mission at the show. I should also do the ply strip where the spare wheel was too.

Top job steve was blown awayby the finish on interior , and considering you are an office type bod for work it makes it all the more impressive , And as Faux says pix dont do it justice well done son 8) 8) 8)

may be wrong but dont think Egos bus had interior when he got it ??????

All his own work - Respect 8)

Looks real nice - very impressed with your hinge cover!

EgoTrippin' said:
Its next on the list Clem :)

I noticed I was missing that as part of my westy detail mission at the show. I should also do the ply strip where the spare wheel was too.

Don't forget the one on the other side too, behind the cupboard that you can see about 10mm of with the rear hatch open :)

Yeah it was empty in the back when I got it. Its originally a kombi which was used to transport surfboards and large RC model aeroplanes around northern california.

Thanks for the comments guys :)

Original pictures of the bus when it first arrived in the uk here:
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?t=1375&highlight=

The problem i have is my bus interior is mint so it would be a real shame to distroy it unless i put an absolute mint original interior in which in the colours of my bus would be pretty much impossible to find i think!

I do like the visability of a bus though!

Latest posts