Engine bay fire

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72baywesty

Reaction score
Anyone that hasn't got an automatic extinguisher fitted.... please get one!!
On Saturday drove the bus @20miles to put it into storage for winter. Turned engine off and jumped out to see my other half waving hands and shouting. Large amount of smoke coming out of vents. Luckily I had an extinguisher system fitted, it went off and killed the fire.
The good news is that there is minimal damage to engine and wiring,coil etc. The fire was extinguished before any damage occurred to the paint (inside or out) or any of the internal trim.

Everyone says it won't happen to me. Me included. Please take heed

That sounds horrific, glad you are both Ok and that the bus isn't too badly damaged. :(

What system have you got fitted? I currently have a Firetec system fitted and am trying to persuade them to service it, but it's like pulling teeth. Tempted to switch to a gas system instead of powder.

Not sure. Fuel lines were near new and ethanol resistant, wiring was new for rebuild (a couple of years ago) both are well cooked as well as dizzy, coil etc so hard to tell.

72baywesty said:
Not sure. Fuel lines were near new and ethanol resistant, wiring was new for rebuild (a couple of years ago) both are well cooked as well as dizzy, coil etc so hard to tell.
At least you and Van are well :D

Glad you escaped with minimum damage

Please let us know the cause when you discover it

I've just switched to ethanol resistant fuel hose as well

Good to know the vw air cooled works fire extinguisher did its job - money well spent!

paulcalf said:
Glad you escaped with minimum damage

Please let us know the cause when you discover it

I've just switched to ethanol resistant fuel hose as well

Good to know the vw air cooled works fire extinguisher did its job - money well spent!
Thanks.
I ve no way of telling. Fuel hose and wiring are very crispy!!
There's nothing obvious as said previously it's all new in there and done @150 miles since last touched with no leaks.

Main thing is you and van are ok

It seems fires can happen even if you do everything possible to try and prevent them.

Glad you guys were all okay, sounds like everything worked as it should! does anyone have one of those ball fire jobbies fitted? canyt remember their name :oops: :lol:

As said above ^^^ Stuf has one installed. I was chatting to him about it and he was telling me how he`d seen them smack a fire down at his work (forces) and how impressed he was with the whole idea. Just a ball and I think a small cage to hold it with a couple of PKs and that`s pretty much it. If it goes over a certain temperature in the engine bay,, BOOM !!! no fire. I guess so long as the fuel don`t go up again which is always the issue.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Plus fuel shut off valve,,, perfect :mrgreen:

What is the general consensus on the best sort of engine bay fire protection system?

I am eager to know everyone's thoughts and experiences as I will be ready to fit one to my bus soon.

Cheers,

Dave.

Dveedub said:
What is the general consensus on the best sort of engine bay fire protection system?

I am eager to know everyone's thoughts and experiences as I will be ready to fit one to my bus soon.

Cheers,

Dave.

Main thing is prevention as in fuel pipes and vents etc and that's all of them including little vent joints and filler pipes etc.. Anything slightly wrong and there will be a good smell of fuel. If you haven't got a good sense of smell then find someone who has and ask them regularly. Fuel shut off is next and then there shouldn't be any issues. Fire systems at best might extinguish a fire but mostly will just slow it down if fresh fuel is still seeping onto hot surfaces you have virtually no chance. I have a firetec but never used in anger.

Ozziedog,,,,,,., good maintenance is key.

Thanks for that ozziedog,

I have got some really substantial fuel hose fitted so hopfefully that will help matters.

Do you have any thoughts and suggestions on the best types of extinguishers, not only for effectiveness but also aesthetics in not ruining the look of the engine bay if possible?

And also the best / popular choice for a good fuel cut off valve?

Thanks,

Dave.

ozziedog said:
Dveedub said:

Cheers,

Dave.

Main thing is prevention as in fuel pipes and vents etc and that's all of them including little vent joints and filler pipes etc.. Anything slightly wrong and there will be a good smell of fuel. If you haven't got a good sense of smell then find someone who has and ask them regularly. Fuel shut off is next and then there shouldn't be any issues. Fire systems at best might extinguish a fire but mostly will just slow it down if fresh fuel is still seeping onto hot surfaces you have virtually no chance. I have a firetec but never used in anger.

Ozziedog,,,,,,., good maintenance is key.

All true.

However. Looks like ours was probably fuel. All new ethanol resistant hoses, all new clips, fuel filter under tank, all breathers replaced with solid/ethanol resistant hose Van was completely rewired whilst been restored. All work carried out within 100 miles of the fire. Van had just been mot'd(day before)
There was no smell of petrol and no hint of a problem until I pulled up. By which point it was burning merrily.

I would wholeheartedly recommend aircooled works system as it killed the fire dead... if it hadnt then the van would now be a write off as the nearest firestation is about 15 minutes away..

Either way fit an suppression system because it can and possibly will happen to you

My Firetec system did the job of putting out my fire in the summer, but I might get the Aircooled Works one next...
One thing though, everything that the powder touched has corroded...small price to pay, and the engine bay paintwork wasn't too pretty anyway...but I was wondering if the Aircooled Works gas version did the same, or is it less harmful to its surroundings?!
Cheers
Al

Bundy said:
My Firetec system did the job of putting out my fire in the summer, but I might get the Aircooled Works one next...
One thing though, everything that the powder touched has corroded...small price to pay, and the engine bay paintwork wasn't too pretty anyway...but I was wondering if the Aircooled Works gas version did the same, or is it less harmful to its surroundings?!
Cheers
Al

Answered my own question by reading the Aircooled Works website...
Theirs is a non-corrosive gas....next purchase for me then!

Latest posts