Engine Dolly

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AxlFoley

Reaction score
has any one got one of these engine dollys? my engine is currently sat on some timber but i spotted this in the vw heritege catalouge, are they any good?

4y9m5c-330x256-bg.jpg

cheaper to make your own. Use a bread basket carrier and cut and weld to the right size, cost bout 10 minutes and cost nothing.

I've got a creeper...you know, one of those things you lie on to slide under the van...at the moment it's got a piece of chipboard on top of it with my engine sitting on that and it happily rolls around the floor.
The only advantage I can see to having the heritage one is that one end of it is open to allow you to slide a jack in.

Hiya Axl,

Have you considered a motorcycle/ATV type jack? This device will give you the ability to move the engine around the garage as well as up and down for removal and installation. A real multi-tasker.

yeah have thought about a motorcycle jack, but they are quite expensive, so i cant really justify the cost.

I'll see how i get on i may make something up.

Thanks

Mark

Bookwus said:
Hiya Axl,

Have you considered a motorcycle/ATV type jack? This device will give you the ability to move the engine around the garage as well as up and down for removal and installation. A real multi-tasker.

I've been thinking about one of these too - but thats because 3L porsche engine is pretty heavy for even two people to move. however, they are quite expensive. definitely making a dolly is a good option

NaFe

You can pick up the ATV lifts from £50 granted not what you want to be sat under with an ATV actually on it but will handle the engine weight quite nicely and raise it effortlessly to the right height for refitment...

Where have you seen them for £50, cheapest i can find is £126 at machine mart.

Mark

That does look ideal, they are going for about £55 on ebay including postage, not a bad price, i think i'll add one to my wish list :)

AxlFoley said:
That does look ideal, they are going for about £55 on ebay including postage, not a bad price, i think i'll add one to my wish list :)

mate, just a thought, do you you have any links that i can look at. i would like to see if i could possibly fit my porsche engine onto one. its close to 200kg and i fit the engine with the gearbox attached.

maybe if you are getting one soon then we could buy two and potentially save on postage/ multibuy

let me know either may mate.

Nafe

just bought myself one of these puppies

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250501364828&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

got it posted for £55

i had 2nd chance offer. not sure whether the guy just got someone to bid for it to dirve costs up, or if he just saw that i would pay up to a certain price that would still make him a profit. i'll have to see how the wheels hold up under the weight of the engine (190kg) and gearbox. i may need to mod the top plates to securely hold the wide engine and maybe a frame for the gearbox.

NaFe

p.s. if you ever need to borrow my jack Axle just give me a shout. as long as i am not using:)

Hiya All,

Hmmmmm.............these ATV/motorcycle jacks must be more expensive over in GB than here in the States. We have a reseller called Harbor Freight that deals in cheap tools. Pretty fair stuff for the DIY kinda guy but definitely not professional grade for the most part. Anyway, I got my ATV/motorcycle jack at HF for $45 (on sale) and that's about 28 quid. Certainly strong enough for the job and very easy to use for an engine removal.

Nice one!

Thanks Nafe, I'm not planning on taking the engine out for a while, but i'll let you know.

Hi all. This is what I'm using.I can set a car/bus on them or an engine & trans. They are rated @ 1,000 lbs. each. I just bought 2 more this weekend {on sale} $39.99 USD for 2 pack. As I have both air&water cooled, I use them for both engine/trans dolly's.I cut to size needed , 3/4" ply, lay it on top the add engine & trans . Works great ;)
Try this link. This is the not on sale price :oops: As Bookwus stated, our Harbor Freight seems to be very similar to your
machine mart. :roll:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=32052" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PHOTO will not come thru :cry: But the link works :)
2 Piece Vehicle Dollies
1000 Lb. Capacity
Each dolly has four swivel casters to hold up to 1000 lbs. each. Move your project cars backwards, forwards, even sideways!
Rugged formed steel construction
3-1/2" cast iron ball bearing swivel casters
Overall size: 15-1/2" x 23-3/8"
Weight: 50 lbs.
ITEM 32052-7VGA $59.99 USD
37.46 BGP

They also have a set of 4 on sale now 8)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38959" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

4 Piece Vehicle Dolly Set
Each dolly has four swivel casters to hold up to 1000 lbs.
Move your project cars backwards, forwards, even sideways!
Made of formed steel with 3-1/2" cast iron wheels with ball bearing swivels
Overall dimensions: 15-1/4" x 23-1/4" (each)
Weight: 50 lbs.
ITEM 38959-6VGA $109.99 USD
68.69 BGP

Sorry :oops: I don't have that pretty little BGP thingiee on my key board :oops: :?

:character0032:

Latest posts