Engine Hesitating at Speed

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Maz

Reaction score
Hi, I hope somebody can point me in the right direction :D

I took the van out for the first time since November and have had a couple of issues :(

Firstly, after filling up with fuel I had an awful smell of fuel inside the cab, which appears to have been when I had my old Danbury interior fitted....it seems as though the guy screwed the rear batton onto the rear bulkhead and went straight into the fuel tank :evil: Having taken the interior out obviously I am now getting the smell of fuel.....luckily I didn't fill the tank right up :shock:

What would be the best way to solve this??

The worst problem that I have is a really bad hesitation/spluttering/no power at around 40-60mph.

The engine is a 1600tp with Solex carb and oil bath filter and 009. The engine idles and starts fine with no problems whatsoever. It goes through the gears all ok but as soon as I am on an open road the engine will start to hesitate and the whole van will shake. I have tried driving through it however there is no power to accelerate. I then came to a stop and the engine died completley. It started up again straight away and idled ok. I gave the engine some rev's while stationary and it was fine.

I went on my way and exactly the same thing again :?: As soon as I got to a built up area at lower speeds it seemed ok :?:

The van was serviced in October last year and had new plugs, leads, roter, distributor cap, points checked and timing set.

Does anybody have any ideas of what to check? It seems to me like fuel isseue. I have checked for leaks but cannot see any.

Matt

Matt Maz said:

I took the van out for the first time since November and have had a couple of issues :(

Firstly, after filling up with fuel I had an awful smell of fuel inside the cab, which appears to have been when I had my old Danbury interior fitted....it seems as though the guy screwed the rear batton onto the rear bulkhead and went straight into the fuel tank :evil: Having taken the interior out obviously I am now getting the smell of fuel.....luckily I didn't fill the tank right up :shock:

The worst problem that I have is a really bad hesitation/spluttering/no power at around 40-60mph.

The engine is a 1600tp with Solex carb and oil bath filter and 009. The engine idles and starts fine with no problems whatsoever. It goes through the gears all ok but as soon as I am on an open road the engine will start to hesitate and the whole van will shake. I have tried driving through it however there is no power to accelerate. I then came to a stop and the engine died completley. It started up again straight away and idled ok. I gave the engine some rev's while stationary and it was fine.

I went on my way and exactly the same thing again :?: As soon as I got to a built up area at lower speeds it seemed ok :?:

The van was serviced in October last year and had new plugs, leads, roter, distributor cap, points checked and timing set.

Does anybody have any ideas of what to check? It seems to me like fuel isseue. I have checked for leaks but cannot see any.

Matt

it sounds like fuel starvation, so either the float is set wrong [ not sure on solex's ?] or the fuel pump isn't doing it's job or there's a blockage in the fuel lines, it could be crud in the tank which when you give it beans is being pulled into the outlet?? As you need to drop the tank anyway to check for holes.....I'd start at the tank and work towards the engine, there is normally a filter on the tank outlet this can block.

I'd also change the rubber fuel lines, as modern petrol eats the rubber if not the right stuff - volksbolts sell a1 marine grade stuff, which I use and have see no issues with

maybe a good time to also fit a fuel solenoid , as a safety measure?

Are you sure about the screw thing? there is a fair gap between the tank and the bulkhead so it would have to be a long screw! A common cause of fuel smells after filling up is the rubber hose that connects the filler to the tank perishes and cracks allowing fuel to seep out. if you fill it right up it will also often show up when cornering as the fuel sloshes up the filler pipe.

As far as the running thing goes, was it running ok before you parked it up? If your sure the points, timing valve clearances are ok then I would suspect fuel / carb issues. First up whip the top of the carb and make sure the fuel is near the top. if not then its a supply problem so check the needle valve in the top of the carb and the pump. also check to see if there is any sediment in the bowl, if so take it apart and give all the jets a blow through.

Another less likely thing that I came across once that displayed similar symptons was the tank had been restored using one of them kits that seal the inside, a piece of it had flaked of and was partially blocking the outlet. Unlikely I know but I thought I would mention it.. ;)

dubs and classics said:
As far as the running thing goes, was it running ok before you parked it up?

Hi, I had a couple of occasions on the way to vanfest and even much earlier in the year, come to think of it, where it was a little hesitant up hills under load at about 50mph.

I'll check all the timing again tomorrow....is it 28-30 @ 3000rpm for the 009??

Similar thing happened to mine on the way to the T2d Chilli night , and on the way to Peppercorn , turned out to be a bit of metal in carb :? Slammedkustom took carb off at Peppercorn , cleaned it out with brake cleaner and it has driven fine ever since
Worth a look son ! :?

Matt Maz said:

Matt

SAME AS ME DUDE !

Matt Maz said:
dubs and classics said:
As far as the running thing goes, was it running ok before you parked it up?

Hi, I had a couple of occasions on the way to vanfest and even much earlier in the year, come to think of it, where it was a little hesitant up hills under load at about 50mph.

I'll check all the timing again tomorrow....is it 28-30 @ 3000rpm for the 009??

I think its 28-32 @ 3000, Although personally I like to go no higher than 30.

Sounds like you need to change the fuel lines and filter for sure. Also have the carb of and get in a good clean out possibly change the seals. (really easy job)

Also check the coil, check that the points on the end are in good condition and that they have a good connection. The reason I say this is last week I took my van out and it was driving fine then all of a sudden kept cutting out driving like a real pig. Found a nut that holds the connector on the + side of the coil had worked loose and was jumping around when going over bumps causing the van to cut out.

Thanks guys for your replies :mrgreen:

Looks like I will be busy cleaning the carb tomorrow.......thought I was going to get my interior finished but need to get this
sorted asap, ready for Ninove :D

Hi Matt.
I would go on the fuel supply route. If it was timing, then it would be a constant problem, not a case of 'a couple of times....etc'. The timing remains constant whatever its setting whereas a bit of dirt in the fuel system can move around. Foot down and the crap can be drawn with the fuel, partially blocking a route, foot off and it could flow back. The previous suggestions regarding fuel lines, and float bowl level/contamination sound like the way to go.
If it starts and runs ok barring the flat spot, that suggests valve clearances, compressions, timing and carb settings are not too far off the mark. They are constants, the only variable is fuel supply, usually caused by dirt/ dodgy fuel pipes.
Check for crap in the carb/filter, maybe change the fuel pipes, they do deteriorate.
Fingers crossed mate! :D

As an aside, after not being used for a few months I would recomend cleaning/gapping the plugs/points, and to ensure the inside of the dizzy cap and rotor arm are clean and dry. Not saying thats's the problem, but, as they say, 'every little helps'.

Matt Maz said:

Matt

I had the fuel smell thing too. And yes, it turned out that the guy who restored and sold me the van had put a drill through the tank when fitting the bed. The guys at The Old Dub Shop near Bristol took the engine and tank out, drained the fuel, filled the tank with water to find the leak, then welded it. Unfortunately after putting the whole lot back together the first tankful showed the fuel gauge had stopped working. Engine and tank had to come out again... Joy..

I also have the same issue with the engine faltering. Spent yesterday afternoon in the tender care of the AA. The roadside patrolman tried every way he could to adjust the carb. He followed me as I tried to drive home. Every hill brought me to a halt. Then after a few minutes with the engine off, she restarted fine and I'd go half a mile before she'd die again. Revved fine by the roadside but once underway lost power at the throttle. Distances got less and less til I could only manage 20 yards before stopping. I ended up riding back with AA relay (in the past 6 months I have come to know all the drivers by first name).

I will be having the Old Dub Shop look at it (they are also on my friends and family phone list), but I'm guessing the carb is the issue, perhaps crud in the system somewhere as i had let it get down to the last eighth of a tank before filling. I will let you know what it turns out to be.

I wouldnt be suprised if it was crud in this system at all...

This is what was in my tank...

3.jpg

:shock: :shock:

Jim

If its not the fuel then swap out the coil for a different one. I had this problem and it would go good till i hit 4th gear on the highway

the_troupster said:
I wouldnt be suprised if it was crud in this system at all...

This is what was in my tank...

3.jpg

:shock: :shock:

Jim

Fooking hell!!! :shock:

I would put my money on fuel supply. I had a similar problem with mine, I took the jet stacks out of the Webers and 1 of the main jets had 1 of those little balls fragments from polystyrene packaging in it :| Must have been from when the carbs got posted to me, Blew all the jets out with my mouth and it ran fine after that.

Karl

Sorry I didn't get back to you Matt, had a hectic bday weekend. If you're not sorted give me a shout and I'll come and have a look if you want.

Since my earlier posting Saint Clive of the Old Dub Shop took the van in (had to tow it behind his hard working T25) and discovered fuel starvation dues to crud in the carbs. Gave them a good clean out and everything now seems to be running fine.

AndyDC said:
Matt Maz said:

Matt

I had the fuel smell thing too. And yes, it turned out that the guy who restored and sold me the van had put a drill through the tank when fitting the bed. The guys at The Old Dub Shop near Bristol took the engine and tank out, drained the fuel, filled the tank with water to find the leak, then welded it. Unfortunately after putting the whole lot back together the first tankful showed the fuel gauge had stopped working. Engine and tank had to come out again... Joy..

I also have the same issue with the engine faltering. Spent yesterday afternoon in the tender care of the AA. The roadside patrolman tried every way he could to adjust the carb. He followed me as I tried to drive home. Every hill brought me to a halt. Then after a few minutes with the engine off, she restarted fine and I'd go half a mile before she'd die again. Revved fine by the roadside but once underway lost power at the throttle. Distances got less and less til I could only manage 20 yards before stopping. I ended up riding back with AA relay (in the past 6 months I have come to know all the drivers by first name).

I will be having the Old Dub Shop look at it (they are also on my friends and family phone list), but I'm guessing the carb is the issue, perhaps crud in the system somewhere as i had let it get down to the last eighth of a tank before filling. I will let you know what it turns out to be.

That's good news Andy :)

I've got the help of slammed tomorrow to try and get my van sorted....got a carb rebuild kit, plugs, leads etc so hopefully one of the bits will cure the problem!!

The wife has got to cook ollie a full English though as an incentive :)

Will let you know what (hopefully) cures the problem.

Well his carb is lovely and clean... but we found some other things to fix anyway! :msn4:

Latest posts