Engine rebuild problem - rocker shaft

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aspira

Reaction score
I've replaced my heads, cylinders and pistons. It's a 1641 stock engine.

I've run into a problem because I thought the rocker arm went straight back in.

Just tried to put the rocker shaft back into the head and couldn't get it to seat properly so I removed the pushrods to make it a bit easier to test and tightened it down. Now one end is stuck and I can't remove the shaft.

First problem is how I'm going to get the shaft back out - can't seem to budge it. Then, do I need to shim the rocker arm to get it to fit properly and can I use the existing pushrods or do these need to be a different sizes.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks Alex - could that be the only issue? I thought I put them on the right way, but I'll double check if I can find a way to get it off.

studs are stepped so if its not screwed in fully then the shaft will jamb,looks like BIGGGGG lever time.

I had the same with 2 new heads whereby the studs were the wrong size (diameter, but only 3 of them!) so ended up taking the ones off the old heads and swapping them over - a real fag getting the studs out of the new heads :(

I've got the "wrong" studs to take back to Heritage this weekend.

Alex, are you in Brighton on Saturday?

Matt_B said:
I had the same with 2 new heads whereby the studs were the wrong size (diameter, but only 3 of them!) so ended up taking the ones off the old heads and swapping them over - a real fag getting the studs out of the new heads :(

I am but not working as such just helping with the set up, but you can leave them with the chaps on our stand if you cant find me.

Alex VW Heritage said:
Matt_B said:

I am but not working as such just helping with the set up, but you can leave them with the chaps on our stand if you cant find me.
Thanks Alex, let's hope its a good day :)

Latest posts