ENGINE TIMING ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikemango

Reaction score
Hi
I've recently changed my dizzy from a 009 to a SVDA, i fitted the SVDA dizzy put the pulley wheel at 7.5 degrees before tdc at the split in the engine casing and set the dizzy using a 12 volt light to the position just before the light come on.
I then used a strobe gun connected to no.1 cylinder to see where i was. The strobe showed the tdc mark in line with the split in the engine casing at tick over, so i tweaked it round until the 7.5 degree btdc mark was inline.
is this the correct setting? or should i have left it as it was?
I'm guessing it is? but dont want to run the engine out of time and cause any damage.
any advice is greatly appreciated
regards
Mike

Just done same on my bus, and most peoples advice was to time to 28-30 advance at max advance revs eg 3500 and not to worry too much about the idle advance. This seems to have worked well for me. (again all vac lines plugged).

Dave

davechorlton said:
Just done same on my bus, and most peoples advice was to time to 28-30 advance at max advance revs eg 3500 and not to worry too much about the idle advance. This seems to have worked well for me. (again all vac lines plugged).

Dave

Thats for a 009 Dizzy not a vac one

is that right? the classic guide to engine timing says both 009 and SVDA are timed similarly, best done at 3500 rpm...see:

http://www.vw-resource.com/tune-up.html#timing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rob

Latest posts