Engine....what is missing/wrong?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbobalero

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a complete newbie so be gentle. The van arrived yesterday and I am pretty sure the engine is missing a few bits and bobs. Didn't want to start to move it onto the drive and when started would cut out. Looking at it with my 0 knowledge there should be an air filter doohicky on top of the carb and another bracket on that blue thingy but what else is missing? What Air filter doohicky do I need?

jimbobalero said:
Hi,

I am a complete newbie so be gentle. The van arrived yesterday and I am pretty sure the engine is missing a few bits and bobs. Didn't want to start to move it onto the drive and when started would cut out. Looking at it with my 0 knowledge there should be an air filter doohicky on top of the carb and another bracket on that blue thingy but what else is missing? What Air filter doohicky do I need?

I'm certainly no expert either but i can see you have no tinware at the bottom around the engine and both heater tubes are missing also :msn4: i'm sure theres more though!

I wondered about the heater pipes but the holes are blocked could they be done another way? Could it be to do with the non-standard exhaust?

What tinware is missing? Do you have a picture?

No 6 is there but you are missing no 2 for sure.

You could do with getting another inlet manifold and exhaust header with pre heat.

Air filter you know about.

May as well reinstate the air hoses. You have heat exchangers after all...

Cheers,
Jim

That inlet manifold won't fit your engine - you have a twinport engine where the inlet manifold comes in 3 parts.

Twinport:

023_cleaned_intake_manifold.jpg

Singleport:

181vg0530.jpg

Don't feel too out of your depth, everyone has to start somewhere. :)

It should be possible to get a secondhand inlet manifold for under £20, and as long as it has the pre-heat pipes (the smaller diameter bits which connect to the exhaust) then you'll be OK. Yours have probably been removed as your exhaust doesn't have compatibility with them, so you'd need to change the exhaust to get that working (i.e. don't bother with the inlet manifold unless you want to change the exhaust)...

It should be OK with just the proper air filter and the inlet manifold left as it is. :)

I'm guessing it is not standard then as it should be single port...time to look at the engine code and see what clues that gives. I'll also check the Sled tin as they may have been removed for whilst they where protecting the underside (that's when the picture was taken)

Thanks everyone. I know I will get there but just a little overwhelming at the minute.

I know how you feel matey - i had a beetle 12 years ago and thought i would be okay to buy a bay that needed some work !!! what a mistake !!!

i cant get the blooming engine running.

just keep ya chin up matey and enjoy being the owner of a fine piece of German metal

Don't be scared of it. You will make mistakes but it is surprising how much you pick up and how quickly to. Just keep asking the questions and dropping the pics on this site.

First time out the battery disconnected itself halfway round a round-about, quick trip to halfrauds 2 new battery terminals that can actually be tightened up, bought and fitted in about 10 minutes.

I had a good look at the engine and the manifold has the pipes for the pre-heater, the bit in the that should connect to is there and blocked off, so I guess I just need the pipe that goes between the two.

Also can those blanking plates be removed for connecting the tinware to the heat exchangers?

The engine keeps cutting out at idle but I have noticed that the left hand side manifold seal only has one jubilee clip on it and leaks petrol, also presumably sucking in air, does that sound like the cause of the problem? (Beautifully hidden by the wire from the distributor on the pic I posted.)

All help/advice gratefully received

Cutting out at tickover could be a simple case of points gap slightly small.......leaking petrol don't sound good though, get that sorted first mate if i were you. :shock:

66nige said:
Cutting out at tickover could be a simple case of points gap slightly small.......leaking petrol don't sound good though, get that sorted first mate if i were you. :shock:

The jubilee clip is now there and sorted. :)

Plus it is a lot better now the air filter is in place as well

BRAD said:
Did you sort your dripping fuel out?.

I certainly did it was from the manifold boot thing. One side only had 1 clip where as the other had 2. Stuck an extra clip on it and it is now nice and non-drippy.

Left hand side just behind the cable to the spark plug

Manifold? not sure what you mean, if your near Gatwick Airport I've spare fuel and vacuum line and probably some other bits, I might even help you put them on for a beer :D

BRAD said:
Manifold? not sure what you mean, if your near Gatwick Airport I've spare fuel and vacuum line and probably some other bits, I might even help you put them on for a beer :D

I'm in Aberdeen, not sure there are many places further from Gatwick and still mainland UK. But thanks for the offer!

Oh well never mind, my sister used to live in New deer sort of near you, check out the bloke selling the air filter you need, postage is£5, looks like it needs a bit of a clean and filling with oil and she'll run a bit better........... you definitely need the help with cold start up your end of the country!, then HEATING. :)

Latest posts