Fitting a 1303s box into my Bay - which spring plate?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gr00veg0d

Reaction score
Following in the footsteps of AxlFoleys gearbox swap I have a query which someone might be able to help with...

I am in the process of swapping the gearbox for a 1303s one, but the clutch release bearing in the '03s box is different to the old bus one (see below - the 1303s release bearing is on the left, bus one on the right)

IMG_20130815_214252.jpg

The beetle gearbox has a sleeve which the bearing fits over (see below) which isn't on the bus box...

IMG_1298.jpg

...and I am wondering if this might foul the centre ring on my clutch spring plate when I fit it all back together...

IMG_20130815_213927.jpg

...in which case will I need to change the spring plate??

Any advice gratefully received :)

Yes you need a later 200mm plate as otherwise you will have a mismatch of release bearing and pressure plate, 1303s boxes use a later release bearing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

does that mean you need a later clutch kit or just the spring plate needs to be changed?
if i was to buy a new clutch kit what one would i buy ?

Im doing the same as above - 1303 box into bay.

thanks

oh and when you say LATER spring plate - what years are we talking please - had a search and doesnt seem that clear as there are 200mm clutch kits for 67-72 bays? Just dont want to buy the wrong part.. help appreciated.. cheers

Basically you need a later style clutch spring plate and release bearing, its the one without the pad on the spring plate and the release bearing with the built in clips, like this one http://www.machine7.com/product.php?xProd=613&xSec=355" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Out of interest what engine do you have?, the 1303s box really only works with bigger engines, if you are running a stock engine then we recommend the AM code Beetle gearbox, its what we have fitted in the Valley Electric panel van, approx 62mph at 3200rpm on a stock 1600TP with single carb.

thanks graham.. oh dear dont say that my 1303 isnt well suited to my 1600 twin port engine!! took so long to source all the parts and now im actually doing it - im nearly done!.. i am also doing a 2" engine raise - thats why i went with the 1303 with a split screen nose cone to get the lift - dont know if that is all possible still with the gearbox you recomended.?
i was going to put twin carbs on my 1600 if that helps??
cheers

im ordering a clutch from them now...thanks for the link. I will also be needing some beetle inner cv joints wont i - can you tell me what year i go for on them - same i suppose - being post 71 beetle something like 71-77 ?? thanks..

sackmcgannay said:
im ordering a clutch from them now...thanks for the link. I will also be needing some beetle inner cv joints wont i - can you tell me what year i go for on them - same i suppose - being post 71 beetle something like 71-77 ?? thanks..

Thats not the way we do it,we change the driveshaft flanges on the box and use the bus driveshafts and CV's, you also need a spacer as the beetle box is narrower than a bay one

ok that sounds better - i'd rather use the bus cv joints - can i use the cv cups off my old bus box and swap them into the beetle box? - that'll save me a bit of cash : )
where does the spacer go ? is it something i need to get machined up or buy? - bit more info on that would be great please graham - thanks again for your help - feel like ive spent total of weeks searching the web for info on all this but each thread ive found is a jummble of conflicting opinions - so in the end i just made a start with what i did know and here i am..

thanks for sharing your wisdom with me me mate! :D

ill take a couple of pics today so you can see what im up to..

I'm sure you've moved past this point, but I just cut the ring on the pressure plate off with an angle grinder when I was in that situation. Works fine, but I did find the pressure plate in a bin full of water, so the investment risk was a little lower for me :)

no i really need to know a solllution for the inner cv's when using the 1303 gearbox with bus drive shafts.. got literally a few days to source the parts and fit before mot next week - someone please give me a hand with this! dont really care what route i go down just need someone who's done it sucessfully and is actually willing to share the info.
would be great
thanks

Latest posts