Flat Battery + Electronic Ignition

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wishart

Reaction score
i think i may have described the ignition/start up procedure on my bus..... but for the purpose of this querie, I'll do it again:

1. Connect two wires on spade clips together to turn ignition on (gen light and oil light come on)

2. Flick toggle switch (a) to 'up' position and leave.

3. Flick second toggle switch (b) up to fire starter motor, then flick back down when engine fires up.

4. To switch engine off, Flick toggle switch (a) back down. Disconnect wires from step 1.

Laborious i know, but it starts every time so it'll do for the time being (it was bought like this). Right, so a friend of mine borrowed our drive to store his bus and when he came to move it, he needed to move mine out of the way. I wasnt at home so my girlfriend chucked him the keys to do it. This was tuesday this week, and all was well until i went to take it round the shops tonight. Connected the two wires together (step 1.) and got nothing. No lights, no click, nothing. Went to flick first toggle switch (b) and found it was still in its 'up' position.... hmmm i thought, thats not right. Tried step 3. and still nothing. Reset everything to try again, but nothing. Not a flicker.

So, im guessing that the Toggle switch (a) is connecting power to something and with it being left 'up' for 3 days, this has flattened the battery?

Ive just been informed that a battery that is completely drained like that may be rendered useless... is this likely? I did try to jump the battery using leads off out Fiesta but got nothing. It is possible to jump starters that use electronic ignition isnt it??

with the thread about the inidcators too, maybe the battery wasn't great

I'd possibly stick points in and try that - it's tricky to know without wire colours what each part of the procedure does - someone like SpeedyJim could probably tell you in a heartbeat?
The coil could have also had a permanent feed and fried?

Although the starter cct should still work without the coil?

Also you have no idea I'm guessing if any of those switches are fused?

I'd post the colour of the wires as a start - at least figuring what switch 2 does!

well the battery charged over night indoors and started no probs this morning. So it appears to have been a drain on the battery from this switch. Checked the indicators and they are still 'dim'. Got someone sorting out the gear shift today but when i have it back i will start going over this all again from front to back. But that whole start up procedure is just wrong so im gonna get it back to starting from the key barrel and then asses what problems are still round then.

Latest posts