Front kick panel material

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raveboy

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Ex Microbus
Hey guys (And gals),

I need to replace the kickpanels at the front of my 68 as the originals are looking pretty tired and shoddy. I would like the new ones to take the same curve yet give faily good structural stability to a pair of 5" speakers I want to mount in them. I will also cover them with vinyl. So my question is, what material should I use and what have others used in the past ? Was thinking
of something like 4mm liteply ?

Cheers
Raver :party0046:

yea 3-4mm ply i used. Carpeted over

marrine ply lasts but how far do u wana go?

The original plastic kick panels looked pants when I got my van. I covered them in the same vinyl as my seats and door cards (the wife did them realy). My thoughts are these panels need to be realy flexible so ply unless realy thin may not work.

DSCF0090_zpsa384f1ba.jpg

i have in the past used good old hardboard and a little clear varnish good as gold......mine are now made from 3mm birch ply to match roof and all other panels .......lovely jubbly :lol:

Nice guys , thanks

Maybe I can have a go at covering the old cards. If not I'll get some 3mm birch. I'll post some pictures up of the outcome ;)

Cheers
Raver.

Just bear in mind that if ur fitting speakers you want it as study as possible or else it vibrates to fook! I used 5mm ply and it's a bitch to fit but more solid, I'm taking mine out an coating the backs with dynamat

creationblue said:
Just bear in mind that if ur fitting speakers you want it as study as possible or else it vibrates to fook! I used 5mm ply and it's a bitch to fit but more solid, I'm taking mine out an coating the backs with dynamat

Cricky Dude, did you need hydraulics to bend it ?? Dynamats a good idea though - Might get some :D
Got any pictures of yours Blue ?

Raver :party0046:

As you can see there are plenty of points of vibration, I folded an piece of paper and stuffed in between the board and the panel and it worked a treat, still there now until I sort a better solution :lol:

gagvanman do you have any pics of the seats your good lady did, we, well i mean the missus mostly is about to start same thing does yours have any tips where did you gt your vinyl and foam.

Latest posts