Front shocks help

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hodge

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've just bought some new KYB excel-g front shocks for the front of my 1970 earlybay from heritage. I've been told these should fit, but when Ive come to fit them the bottom mount doesn't fit. This is because there is a metal sleeve inside the rubber mount of the new shock and won't fit over the mounting stud. The mounting stud does have a metal sleeve already in place and looks like part of the stud, I take it this can't be removed? Or do I try and take the sleeve out of the new shock?
Any help would be appreciated and may be missing something obvious!

The sleeve from your old shock has become seized and remained on the stud when the old shock was removed. From experience, cut or grind it off. Don't try to remove the sleeve from the new shock and replace with the old one, they're nigh-on impossible to get in.

recently fitted the same shocks and had this issue on front passenger side. grind a slot in one side very carefully and get a cold chisel on it. couple of bashes and it comes off easy. tried everything else to budge it but nothing works.
have fun!
Mike

I had exactly the same, I heated up the seized bushes with a blow torch and removed them with mole grips.

[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com

I didn't have access to a torch so a trusty decorators heat gun works well doesn't take all that long either plus no flame :D

Latest posts