Front windscreen surround - repair or replace?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camperdan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Danbury
Hi All,

Wanted to ask all your opinions on another dilemma I'm facing with my first resto.

Having removed the front windscreen and rubber seal, I was pleased to find that after scraping off all the bubbly paint that there were no holes.

However the lower channel is very pitted:
DSCF0568.jpg

Of course I could cut this all out and weld in either some repair strips or replace the top section of the front panel - however this is a lot of work and will probably result in some distortion of the original front panel etc. Plus I'd like to try and keep 'some' of the original van!? :roll:

Instead, I'm considering borrowing a sandblaster and cleaning this all up really good before treating it all and putting a skim of filler across it to smooth it all back out, prior to painting and refitting the windscreen with a new seal.

Is this a good or bad idea? Will blasting it really get all the corrosion out or will I just be delaying the inevitable need to cut it all out and replace with new a year or two later?

Doesn't look that bad to me.

I'd clean it up as best possible and use some type of rust chemical
to stop the corrosion going any further and then do whats needed to repaint up.

I don't think you need to go to the extent of blasting.

When you refit the screen use a good quality rubber and to make sure no water can get in and use a rubber/screen sealant and it should last for many more years.

But it's down to you.

WHS^^^ looking pretty solid there, sand blasting can create its own problems on panels, many a so called proffessional have taken the easy sandblasting option and turned a fairley sound low cost resto van into a pepperpot with an empty wallet ahead of them ........

clean it with care prep it fill it paint it and a quality seal will carry it over for years.....

Most owners would only dream of the metal looking this good if they did the same.

Repair ! I have used Finnegens/Hammerite No1 rust stopper to good effect, but I guess there are plenty of alternatives

BTW how did you get on with the slide door sill ? Alomost ready to weld in my patch panels now on the inner sill - will post pics if my welds aren't too embarrassing...

Cheers

James

Agree with all - just clean back as much as poss, then treat with rust inhibitors - then make good
ready for paint.

The best rubber for the screen is the main thing - helps stop any further ingress and keep the work you have done good for may a year :D

I wouldn't worry too much about filler if it is under the rubber, use a qure rust then just use a good dose of high build primer, then flat it back. Once it is painted it will be sealed & the rubber will hide any pitting.

Thanks Pete, I really appreciate your and everyones advice.

btw, just been looking at your website.... wow there are some pretty amazing cars you have built..... that 62 cal bug is wicked...... just the kind of bug I'd like to own one day!

Thanks for the kind words, once the body is off, bugs are piss easy to build.

If you want to do one, then just go for it! The body & paint is the hardest part but you can always farm it out...

The mechanics are a walk in the park...

Hi Pete,

Yeah, I've already decided that when... or rather if..... I ever finish restoring my van.... if I'm not completely sick of welding etc I'd like to own and fix up a pre-67 bug in a Cal-look style as my next project.

I used to be a mechanic so mechanical issues do not phase me at all, however until starting this restoration on my van I had no experience of body/metal work, welding, panel prep, painting etc.... so for a first time experience I'm finding it quite a daunting task as it's just so big with so much to do! :shock:

If you want to check out my slow progress so far take a look:
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?t=1421&sid=e1bcf0a94611ad7bb85447d805fcb1a7

Hopefully the smaller size of a Beetle and as you said, the opportunity to remove the body from the pan... may (and I stress 'may') make it a slightly easier task? So in hindsight I probably should have started with a Beetle project first?

But then there is nothing quite like the deep end I suppose???? :roll:
And you can't help but love those Early Bays!!! :wink:

Thanks Pete.

Although I'm sure professionals would have finished my Bus and three others in the same time I've taken to get this far?

I will get there...... one day?

Latest posts