FS Alistair's 1970 Westy SO70 Campmobile - San Lorenzo, Cali

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today i was at a big VW show and there were a lot of earlybay campers, and saw it on several vans, isn't it the same profile as behind the table?
I forgot my camera :oops:
Mine is missing also!

The trim is for a pop top westy does two jobs stops you hitting your head on the curtain track and stops drafts from the sliding door when the roof bunk is used.It simply goes in with the roof liner thats how mine is
Cheers

panalvan said:
The trim is for a pop top westy does two jobs stops you hitting your head on the curtain track and stops drafts from the sliding door when the roof bunk is used.It simply goes in with the roof liner thats how mine is
Cheers

Ah right! Thanks for that! Any chance of a piccy to help myself and Dirty Harry out, so we know where exactly they should fit? :wink:

Must admit, never banged my head on the curtain track bit, always the pop; top surround, which is missing on mine, but on its way from the US, not before time, the scars on my head, you would have thought i would remember...........er......no............. :roll:

Nice to hear that i have the right part anyway, i was wondering!

Cheers!

Alistair

Dirty Harry said:
Today i was at a big VW show and there were a lot of earlybay campers, and saw it on several vans, isn't it the same profile as behind the table?
I forgot my camera :oops:
Mine is missing also!

Hi!

Yeah, looks similar to the table one. When i got it, it was wrapped round and round and really kinked, warmed it up in some hot water and it went reallt pliable, gave it a good scrub, and it came up perfect!
Found mine on the samba.

Alistair

Alistair, I have one fitted to my pop top westy, I should be able to get down the lockup monday and take a piccy!

Still working on mine - gonna do a panel search at dubfreeze next month!!

Regards

Matt

who? said:
Alistair, I have one fitted to my pop top westy, I should be able to get down the lockup monday and take a piccy!

Still working on mine - gonna do a panel search at dubfreeze next month!!

Regards

Matt

Hi!

Oh, that'll be handy!! Ta very much!!

Dubfreeze next month? Some comes round?! Long way from us tho?

Alistair

What's up Alistair?!

I've been searching the sites for the same explanation for the sliding door plastic. I've had the piece off my westy for about 4 years now and decided it was time to figure out how to install the thing again. I've been looking at my piece not really understanding how it fits. I see you may be looking for the same thing so maybe this thread will help?

scroll down the page a bit for the picts...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=131980&highlight=sliding+track" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hey by the way, did you receive your westy roof trim yet, I guess it will be a few more days in the mail?

cker5

Cker5 said:
What's up Alistair?!

I've been searching the sites for the same explanation for the sliding door plastic. I've had the piece off my westy for about 4 years now and decided it was time to figure out how to install the thing again. I've been looking at my piece not really understanding how it fits. I see you may be looking for the same thing so maybe this thread will help?

scroll down the page a bit for the picts...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=131980&highlight=sliding+track" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hey by the way, did you receive your westy roof trim yet, I guess it will be a few more days in the mail?

cker5

Hi Dude!

Aha! Becomes clearer now. Though on mine, the part that tucks into the metal trim, has holes for screws in it, which made me wonder if it was screwed into the metal track, as shown in the pic where the rivets are.

Righto! Off outside to check...............

..........OK, had another look, and to be honest, there doesn't seem enough room to get the rubber cover in, and the rivets holding the track appear to be nearly in the same place as the holes on the trim? Though the trim isnt loose, so i don't think that's it?
Think i will need to remove the wood trim and have another bash.

Yeah, looking forward for the pop top surround, guess it'll be here shortly, it'll give me something to do at the weekend - if it gets any warmer. It's -8C tonight! Brr!

Cheers dude!

Alistair

Alistair,

Hey dude, You may not have the sliding door trim after all, the piece should be straight not curved. The trim attaches to the wood roof panel with a 90Ëš lip in the galvanized metal track that the holds up the wood ceiling panels. I had to pull the wood panel out a bit of the galvanized track, the plastic piece slides in with the support of the galvanized track and the 1/8" wood ceiling panel inserted. Looking again at the pict of what you have it resembles the trim for the large fold up table. It mounts just above the table on the wall with an additional metal strip. Check out that link again, it also shows how the table piece fits. If not I'll take some of mine to show you if needed.

Cheers!

Cker5

Cker5 said:
Alistair,

Hey dude, You may not have the sliding door trim after all, the piece should be straight not curved. The trim attaches to the wood roof panel with a 90Ëš lip in the galvanized metal track that the holds up the wood ceiling panels. I had to pull the wood panel out a bit of the galvanized track, the plastic piece slides in with the support of the galvanized track and the 1/8" wood ceiling panel inserted. Looking again at the pict of what you have it resembles the trim for the large fold up table. It mounts just above the table on the wall with an additional metal strip. Check out that link again, it also shows how the table piece fits. If not I'll take some of mine to show you if needed.

Cheers!

Cker5

Hi!

The curve on my item is because it was coiled up, once it is warm and pliable, it's straight. It has a curved finish on one end, and a straight cut on the other.
Here are some pics of the table

Image469.jpg

Image470.jpg

Image471.jpg

From your description, and the pictures, it looks like i need to remove the wood a bit, insert the trim, re-insert wood. Will try at the weekend. :|
Here are some more pics of what my setup is at the moment.

Image472.jpg

Image473.jpg

Image467.jpg

Image468.jpg

Note the holes drilled on the trim in the last pictures? Not sure about them - maybe a red herring? :roll:

Cheers!

Alistair

Ahhhh, I see it now! Yup, you have the right piece. I wonder where the screw holes are from? an incorrect install I suppose? The plastic just slides into the galvanized strip in the ceiling with the panel. My pain was trying to dislodge the wood panel from the metal strip.

You're on it kid 8) !

cheers!
cker5

Cker5 said:
Ahhhh, I see it now! Yup, you have the right piece. I wonder where the screw holes are from? an incorrect install I suppose? The plastic just slides into the galvanized strip in the ceiling with the panel. My pain was trying to dislodge the wood panel from the metal strip.

You're on it kid 8) !

cheers!
cker5

Hi!

I did wonder, it was just the holes that threw a curve ball - will have another go at the weekend, but to be honest, it's gonna be tight, there doesn't seem much room for wood and trim.....

Pics up once i have cracked it!

Alistair

Well, spent an age trying to fit wood and trim together in the metal slot. Gave up, just wouldn't fit all the way in. Used a metal block to hammer to wood in, got about 3mm from the end and just wouldn't go further, ended up mashing the edge of the wood somewhat too....
Another day, will try bending the metal out a little to allow a litgtle more room.

So today tried fitted the pop top surround trim, (cheers clerk5!) gave up on that one too, it kept coming off, and the corners are a sod to try and get in. It wasn't helped by the fact is was only about 6 degrees outside, and the rubber wasn't too pliable. (and cold stiff fingers!) Think warmer weather and some instant glue would help a lot. Looks like the trim is a little too long too, so a little trimming here too.

Decided to try and clean the hub caps again - more rusty spots appearing, chrome now pitted if you look close, but as least they came up shiny. Only did them a few weekends ago. :roll:

Image486-1.jpg

Image487.jpg

Image488.jpg

Cheap hubcaps, still debating if to paint them light grey as this is how it would have been originally.
Notice the rusty ones are off the rear wheels, and were covered in black dust i guess, compaired to the front ones which were like new inside. So what's that about then? Is this brake dust i guess, is this normal? Why nothing on the fronts?

Took it to the jet wash - as noticed there was mud stuck to the wheel arches and jacking points, from last time i went out when the roads were wet. Now clean, but with also a little less black underseal, which is good, as i want to proper paint the wheelarches when the weather is better, just need to keep a eye out for rust appearing.

So as my day wasn't that pro active, though i would have a go at fixing the spare Westy tap i have. The spout was off, and took it apart to see what it was like inside. Seemed all ok - aside from a small marble inside, not OG i may add, think this was a basic one way valve someone has fitted? Cleaned it up, smeared some vaseline on the internal seal as the fit seemed slightly loose - is nearly 40 years old, so not doing too bad.

Image489.jpg

Image490.jpg

Re-assembled and all seems to be well, it works lovely now! Figured it would be a easy fix, as only 2 screws fix it to the sink unit, shame there isn't enough pipe to pull it clear - looks like you have to remove the sink unit? Another day, was too cold to faff about doing that, another job for another day.......

Still, managed to get some more stickers on! :D

Alistair

Hi!

More retro stuff for the bus, had for while (ebay purchase) a 1970 Roberts radio. original condition, red leather and wood. Managed to refit the aerial, and a blob of pva glue on the end to stop the screw coming loose. Works a treat now with a nice mellow tone, and got FM too!

Image491.jpg

Image492.jpg

Image493.jpg

Image494.jpg

Alistair

Hi!!

A few more updates..... Well, eventually got around to tidying up the cab floor a little. I really wanted to sand and repaint the front floor, but didn't have the correct colour paint - so Ankor wax-ed the surface rusty bits:

DSC00073.jpg

DSC00074.jpg

DSC00076.jpg

DSC00077.jpg

Spent ages, cleaning and polishing the outside, tidying up scuffs and marks on the old rear bumper. Also fitted a "please pass" sign which lights up via the old rear heater switch on the dash.
Refitted the OG floor mat........

DSC00081.jpg

Looking better, but..............

DSC00084.jpg

DSC00086.jpg

Much better. Also got a nice matching dash board top cover too......

DSC00085.jpg

DSC00089.jpg

Eventually got around to tacking the missing rubber strip around the pop top hole - really struggled to fit it on it's own, so use some spare screws for the canvas and screwed through the rubber into the wood trim to hold it all down. So really happy with how that turned out.

DSC00087.jpg

DSC00088.jpg

New bottle opener - didn't want to drill any holes, but as the previous owner already had, it tidys up the area well (not sticky foam now gone)

DSC00054.jpg

Jacked up the front, and greased up the ball joints and beam - though need to replace a missing grease nipple....Noticed that it doesn't "crash" as much over pot holes, so it was certainly due a bit of grease. Though you may be able to see that it needs new lower and uppewr ball joint rubbers on both sides....plenty of grease pumped in now and no play - but will need to replace the boots quite soon. Along with my split CV boots too.....

DSC00058.jpg

DSC00059.jpg

DSC00060.jpg

DSC00061.jpg

That's it for the time being, more pics to follow. I am changing the look of the interior a little, so will be going a little Tiki, oh, and the curtains and cushions will be going, I have ideas for replacement "curtains" so will be selling these soon!

Oh, and at the Volksworld show, was showing someone the top bunk, afterwards, i said to Linda - "climb up and see what it's like" Queue tearing sound and a arse heading downwards.... :shock: :shock: Seems like nearly 40 year old canvas isn't that strong......so I'll be on the look out for some more next!

Cheers!

Alistair

Alistair, she's lookin' sweeet, I really dig that front fabric mat, It makes it look Tiki on the dash! The ceiling trim makes a big difference, good job!

I know where you are at, I just wrestled a front beam swap (stock for the time being) and fitted new ball joints, tie rods, link pin, and rebuilt CVs. It made a huge difference all around. It's my first week taking the old girl on the road on some test drives. Its been 8 years and have gone 40 miles so far!

Cker5 said:
Alistair, she's lookin' sweeet, I really dig that front fabric mat, It makes it look Tiki on the dash! The ceiling trim makes a big difference, good job!

I know where you are at, I just wrestled a front beam swap (stock for the time being) and fitted new ball joints, tie rods, link pin, and rebuilt CVs. It made a huge difference all around. It's my first week taking the old girl on the road on some test drives. Its been 8 years and have gone 40 miles so far!

Hi dude!

Yeah, really pleased how it's coming along - once i have my hols over with, hopefully wanna get it into the body shop to sort out a few issues, need to save my pennys!.
Looks real good now with the ceiling trim - thanks! Got a cool mexican blanket on the rear seat. Good some ideas for new curtains and flooring coverings in the rear....
Not looking forward to doing the rubber boots - i may wimp out and get a garage to do it....

Cheers!

Alistair

Yeah, I agree like robins said, "go on", you can do it!

I used an inexpensive method for removing the ball joints, (realized from spookys site, then tried and tested)

http://www.dolgyfre.adsl24.co.uk/spooky/work/frontsusp.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1. Grind the lip on the top of the joint down to flush, then take a BFH and hammer the ball joint on the threads till it pops out. It will shoot through the torsion end, hammer up.

You will be left with the outer ring of the ball joint still in the torsion arm. Time to remove the tension holding it in so you can tap it out.
2. Take a skill saw and saw out the ring until it's just to the edge of the torsion arm, (apply hack saw for the delicate sawing)

3. Take a cold chisel and tap the outer ring out

One ball joint done, three to go!

4. Find a shop and rent a ball joint press and press them in yourself for the cost to rent the tool. It's a c-clamp looking tool that you turn the threads to press it in.

(I know you are looking to replace the boots), just in case you decide ea?

Hi Alistair, looks like you have been busy!

I promised you a pic of the trim over the door ages ago and then it took me ages to get back down the lock up...sorry dude.

Anyhow, bank holiday weekend was good to me so I managed to get up to date with work should be getting down workshop more often now...probably too late now though, have you have sorted it!!?

Latest posts